Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering when applying to university does it make a huge difference if you have a band 2 instead of a band 1? Especially in the more competitive courses?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

ReputationRep:
    Universities will only see your grades, not the banding.
    Some, such as Oxbridge, may ask for your banding but for the majority of universities they will not care.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tinababy)
    I was just wondering when applying to university does it make a huge difference if you have a band 2 instead of a band 1? Especially in the more competitive courses?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Cambridge and UCL are the only ones I have seen specify bands in their offers.

Oxford and everywhere else don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter. All that hard work you spent getting high % is essentially meaningless in the end.

Tragic, I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Cambridge and UCL are the only ones I have seen specify bands in their offers.

Oxford and everywhere else don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Do they not even see what u got tho?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Really? Do they not even see what u got tho?
    Bands don't appear on your certificates and there isn't an option for them on UCAS - unis will ask you to fill them in through a seperate form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    It doesnt matter. All that hard work you spent getting high % is essentially meaningless in the end.

Tragic, I know.
    Tragic for those who get 97%.... Amazing for those who get 71%
    That's quite a big difference... U can lose nearly a third of the marks and still get an A

ReputationRep:
    Tragic for those who get 97%.... Amazing for those who get 71%
    That's quite a big difference... U can lose nearly a third of the marks and still get an A
    Aye, the system is stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Bands don't appear on your certificates and there isn't an option for them on UCAS - unis will ask you to fill them in through a seperate form.
    Wow that's brilliant!! Means I don't have to be too worried about getting a really high score in the exam thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyarcade)
    Aye, the system is stupid
    Yeah and sometimes it drops below 70% even :\ but oh well what can we do...if more people get good grades more people go to uni. Haha imagine what you wld have to do to actually fail?! I have no clue what the percentage is for that.

ReputationRep:
    I do believe we should have the A* grade in the Scottish system.
    Splits up the good candidates from the extremely good candidates.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.