Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you lack confidence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I lack self esteem, but I think I lack confidence.
    As a general rule I'm pretty extrovert and enjoy meeting new people and prefer the company of others. But many things that most people wouldn't think twice about make me really nervous.
    I feel nervous phoning people who I don't know, asking anyone for a favour, visiting my lecturer's office unannounced to complain about issues relating to my course (I need to do this but simply don't feel able to). Basically things where I think I might annoy someone I don't like. I worry about looking stupid, weird or being a nuisance. No idea why as I generally don't care what others think of me.

I could happily represent myself in court and speak in front of several people (and have done this) but if asked to read an article inf don't of others on my course I would be nervous. i could never out my hand up in the lecture hall.

Im not sure what it is that makes certain things hard but I'm about to qualify as a social worker and need to improve on certain aspects.

In what areas would you say you lack confidence? Would you be nervous doung any of the things I mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    Partly yes and partly no

ReputationRep:
    Same don't know how to overcome it though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I overcome this by hiding behind a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, though I've found that one can forcibly widen one's comfort zone, so it is possible to become confident at something you had previously lacked confidence in. It's all about making that first attempt I guess.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. I'm confident with most things but I'm not going to be confident with robbing a bank successfully.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I should really do something about it but every time I try I end up giving up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have made a conscious effort to use the phone more. And I now don't think much about phoning up an organisation. But a specific person I find much harder

ReputationRep:
    I do, especially when I have to speak infront of a lot of people or in a situation where I feel like people would be judging me. I hate being on the phone as well

ReputationRep:
    I feel many of the same things. Dislike talking on the telephone, not good at formal situations where I have to meet and talk to people I don't know. If I have time to prepare and I know exactly what I'm doing, it's fine. As for the others, its often just a matter of losing your identity of self and just do it. Take the plunge. Dive in at the deep end. Practice makes perfect, and no one will laugh at you if you are making an honest effort and decide to believe in yourself throughout.

ReputationRep:
    Do those of you who say they lack confidence ever have it commented on? I find it infuriating when I see it written as a comment about me. I think it needs to be specific and the person say exactly what they found you lacked confidence in.
    What jobs/degrees are you lot doing?

I'm doing social work and while I don't think it should be important, it is. It's affecting my grades

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I'm not scared of giving a speech to my school or anyone else, but when it comes to talking on the phone or answering questions in class, I'm just too nervous to do it!

yes

ReputationRep:
    What is it about the phone that is so terrifying ? Lol

ReputationRep:
    It is weird but I can't use the phone either, or at least I need a lot of prompting I've yet to think of a valid or rational explanation as to why I find it so scary as well, but I guess a lack of confidence comes in many forms. I know some people who would be perfectly fine giving a lecture to a room full of strangers but would never go into a career like nursing or care work.

ReputationRep:
    Public speaking is singularly the most horrific part of my life

Anything else, I'm cool though

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sometimes I am the most confident person on the planet and then the next minute, I am the most shy and timid person. My level of confidence varies between day to day and between different situations.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I get nervous about loads of stuff. Approaching people I don't know, negotiating, driving, having people's attentions focused on me, being on video, etc. But I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I were the kind of person who let themselves be pushed around by vague emotions like that.

ReputationRep:
    Depends in large part how my health is. When I'm not so hot I'm pretty demure vs. when I'm really on form I turn into narcissistic so and so :smug:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.