The Student Room Group

Do you lack confidence?

Scroll to see replies

This basically. Im working on my confidence day by day though. Im more confident than i was this time last year. Its all about being comfortable in your own skin

I can happily make phone calls, talk to strangers and read im front of the class (always was like this) buf i guess i lack self esteem in other areas (physical appearance mostly but im working on it as they are things i can actually change thankfully) and i care alot about what others think. Hopefully i will tackle this in the near future :smile:

Original post by Spock's Socks
Sometimes I am the most confident person on the planet and then the next minute, I am the most shy and timid person. My level of confidence varies between day to day and between different situations.
I'm weirdly the opposite. I'd say I have confidence, but lack self-esteem.

As in, I'm very proud of my achievements to date and I love nothing more than performing in the vein of acting and dancing. In a long-established group of friends, I can be very extroverted.

However, generally, socially and physically, I'm almost completely devoid of any self-esteem, and tend to be extremely introverted around new people. If I were feeling particularly deep, I'd say the confidence during acting is probably some psychological escape from reality, etc.

Original post by Spock's Socks
Sometimes I am the most confident person on the planet and then the next minute, I am the most shy and timid person. My level of confidence varies between day to day and between different situations.

This. I oscillate between hyperactivity/excitement and introversion/depression so rapidly I think I'm mildly cyclothymic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
I lack confidence and self esteem. The main area that I lack confidence is in social situations. I used to hate standing up and giving a presentation in front of the class at school but in year 11 I got an A in a speaking and listening presentation because I had rehearsed the presentation and it was something that I was passionate about. I think my main problem is I don't know what is going to happen in social situations so I remain quiet.
Yes and no. In a group of 3+ I'm fine. Pretty sheepish around girls because of how I look but fine around guys. I can do 2 people but I have to be really good friends with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I certainly feel anxious in some situations, but after realising that I actually come across really confident, even arrogant or too full on at times, I started relaxing because it's probably all in my head. I would advise everyone to try to find out how they actually come across to others.

*thinking OMG I will sound/look stupid, OMG people will hate me OMG*

*say/do whatever I am supposed to*

*other people perceive me as confident*

A bit of a waste of my time worrying, turns out :indiff:

How very silly of me.
Reply 25
I think I come across as confident in general. But then whenever I've had a job my colleagues have said I came across as lacking confidence. For me, I only lack confeidence when at work, at uni or on work experience. Not in day to day life. I've never had a job where I didn't feel nervous walking through the door to start the day. No idea why
I lack self control and stoicism, not the same thing but hinders success which is the catalyst of confidence. I actually have childlike levels of false bravado and self absorption once I am at the '**** life destroy people' stage, an event that occurs once every few weeks.
Reply 27
It depends who I'm around. If I'm speaking to family and friends I've known for a while, you wouldn't think I would be a quiet or shy person at all. I wish I was this confident when it comes to contributing in seminar groups or calling unfamiliar people on the phone. I think the pressure of saying something wrong and people judging you for your mistake is the main motivation for my lack of confidence around unfamiliar people.
Original post by Mezza362
I don't think I lack self esteem, but I think I lack confidence.
As a general rule I'm pretty extrovert and enjoy meeting new people and prefer the company of others. But many things that most people wouldn't think twice about make me really nervous.
I feel nervous phoning people who I don't know, asking anyone for a favour, visiting my lecturer's office unannounced to complain about issues relating to my course (I need to do this but simply don't feel able to). Basically things where I think I might annoy someone I don't like. I worry about looking stupid, weird or being a nuisance. No idea why as I generally don't care what others think of me.

I could happily represent myself in court and speak in front of several people (and have done this) but if asked to read an article inf don't of others on my course I would be nervous. i could never out my hand up in the lecture hall.

Im not sure what it is that makes certain things hard but I'm about to qualify as a social worker and need to improve on certain aspects.

In what areas would you say you lack confidence? Would you be nervous doung any of the things I mentioned?

For me, appearance-wise I fluctuate between being confident and thinking I'm weird looking...
Socially I definitely have confidence issues. I have difficulty making friends as I don't like to say anything to people in unfamiliar situations (new class, etc). I always worry that people don't like me, or that I secretly annoy them, etc. And I worry that people thinking I'm awkward looking or acting/dressing, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest