Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should I take enlgish lit, geogrpahy or psychology along with bio and chem for medicine I may decide to take maths later on but for now out of those three which one is more respected and likely to get me a place at birmingham uni?

ReputationRep:
    Evening John

First of all Maths is the most important A Level you need for Medicine. Without Maths you're not going to get onto a Medicine course; it is the foundation and basis of many topics and concepts.

Chemistry is valued highly and it is the one science that is compulsory across all medicine courses. It is often referred to as the central science as it interlinks with Biology and Physics quite well. Depending on what area of medicine you'd like to study Biology or Physics would be equally as acceptable.

Of those three essay based subjects you should really pick the one you enjoy the most. They are all heavy subjects that require dedication and are time sinks. I take English Literature and it is by far the subject that requires the most time and effort of all my A Levels. Having an essay based subject will broaden the skills you will gain but don't pick it just for the sake of being an "all rounder" pick the one you genuinely enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmTng)
    Evening John

First of all Maths is the most important A Level you need for Medicine. Without Maths you're not going to get onto a Medicine course; it is the foundation and basis of many topics and concepts.

Chemistry is valued highly and it is the one science that is compulsory across all medicine courses. It is often referred to as the central science as it interlinks with Biology and Physics quite well. Depending on what area of medicine you'd like to study Biology or Physics would be equally as acceptable.

Of those three essay based subjects you should really pick the one you enjoy the most. They are all heavy subjects that require dedication and are time sinks. I take English Literature and it is by far the subject that requires the most time and effort of all my A Levels. Having an essay based subject will broaden the skills you will gain but don't pick it just for the sake of being an "all rounder" pick the one you genuinely enjoy.
    Evening JmTng, I never knew maths was the most important always told that chemsitry was and with chem bio and one other one you could get an A you could get onto a medicine course. Might take maths now if not possibly psychology(still unsure). Thanks for your help though. Also the unis I look at don't require maths A level just at at GCSE all of them require chemistry though.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend biology, chemistry & maths (that's what I'm doing and I've just applied to medical school :rolleyes:). Chemistry is compulsory for almost all med school (definitely Birmingham), biology is pretty relevant as you learn the basics about the heart, lungs, the liver, the kidneys, nerves, homeostasis etc which are all covered in more detail in a med degree so without it you would be a bit behind. Maths isn't necessary (I know lots of people doing med who didn't take maths) but it just kind of fits in with the other subjects (e.g. you do lots of calculations in chemistry). As for your forth subject, do something you enjoy! I took a language because I was interested in it, and it gave me a break from the hardcore sciency stuff.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JmTng)
    Evening John

The bit I have highlighted is completely untrue. Chemistry is the most important A-level for medicine, but one other science is generally required for A100.

I know you mean well, but please don't give students incorrect information as it may impact their studies.

(Original post by JohnLE)
    Should I take enlgish lit, geogrpahy or psychology along with bio and chem for medicine I may decide to take maths later on but for now out of those three which one is more respected and likely to get me a place at birmingham uni?
    What grades did you achieve at GCSE OP? Birmingham is very GCSE heavy in the sense they require a good few A*'s. For A-level, you will be required to take chemistry and at least one other science. However, quite a few medical schools expect you to have studied biology to AS-level at least.

Take some time to check the websites of the medical schools you're interested in applying to. Medical schools do vary on what they ask for. For example, Birmingham require you to have A*, A, A at A-level including chemistry and biology. Take a look: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...rseOverviewTab

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or quote me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help guys, I haven't done my gcses yet.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks for all your help guys, I haven't done my gcses yet.
    You're welcome.

Good luck for your GCSE's! If you need some help with anything, there will be parts of this website you can use for revision material such as past papers .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent18)
    You're welcome.

Good luck for your GCSE's! If you need some help with anything, there will be parts of this website you can use for revision material such as past papers .
    Thanks once again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent18)
    The bit I have highlighted is completely untrue. Chemistry is the most important A-level for medicine, but one other science is generally required for A100.

I know you mean well, but please don't give students incorrect information as it may impact their studies.

What grades did you achieve at GCSE OP? Birmingham is very GCSE heavy in the sense they require a good few A*'s. For A-level, you will be required to take chemistry and at least one other science. However, quite a few medical schools expect you to have studied biology to AS-level at least.

Take some time to check the websites of the medical schools you're interested in applying to. Medical schools do vary on what they ask for. For example, Birmingham require you to have A*, A, A at A-level including chemistry and biology. Take a look: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...rseOverviewTab

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or quote me.
    Evening TheStudent

I'm looking into Medicine at University and I'm merely repeating what my careers advisors at College have told me. Maths is the utter most important science you need to have closely followed by Chemistry.

Heavy emphasis has been placed on Maths as the most important subject to take for a solid entry into Medicine. To be quite fair I'm going to take their advice; it's their job to help and guide me to go where I want to. I thought I would just tell another prospective student what I had learned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

John best of luck in your GCSE's! Study hard and you'll pass with flying colours

Edit to TheStudent: After re-reading my message I realise I sound a little hostile, I'm sorry if I do I really don't mean to be!

ReputationRep:
    The above post is false, maths is by no means necessary, but could be highly beneficial. Out of those 3 subjects, the first two are best as psychology is not regarded very highly by unis. Pick whichever you're likely to get the highest grade in.

ReputationRep:
    Maths , Biology , Chemistry and another science or some other essay based subject .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmTng)
    Evening TheStudent

I'm looking into Medicine at University and I'm merely repeating what my careers advisors at College have told me. Maths is the utter most important science you need to have closely followed by Chemistry.

Heavy emphasis has been placed on Maths as the most important subject to take for a solid entry into Medicine. To be quite fair I'm going to take their advice; it's their job to help and guide me to go where I want to. I thought I would just tell another prospective student what I had learned.

John best of luck in your GCSE's! Study hard and you'll pass with flying colours

Edit to TheStudent: After re-reading my message I realise I sound a little hostile, I'm sorry if I do I really don't mean to be!
    Have a look at course requirements. They usually require chemistry plus another science.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JmTng)
    Evening TheStudent

Fair enough you may have got this information from a careers advisor, but it's simply not true. Yes - some medical schools may ask for maths at A-level, but most do not. It varies. Chemistry is the subject that is required.

ReputationRep:
    Maths definitely is not the most important subject I understand that you are just taking the advice of your careers advisor but I also have one too and she and most unis will agree that what they are really looking for is chemistry... Chemistry is the only compulsory subject and some unis really don't care if you haven't done maths.

Yes there are some mathematical elements of medicine but they will be taught as part of your course.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JmTng)
    Your response didn't read as hostile, don't worry .

ReputationRep:
    You definitely don't need maths, the above post is wrong.

It shouldn't really make a difference whether you do English Lit, Geography, or Psychology. However, I do think you should do 4 AS Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help and positive comments, I will think about it and let you guys know and yup chem is the required subject and maths may be beneficial but is jot essential.

ReputationRep:
    The TSR COMPLETE GUIDE to APPLYING FOR MEDICINE :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.