Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my first year of IB doing Italian ab initio. Up until doing this course I'd never studied a language so although I'm finding it challenging I'm also really enjoying it. My question is: what sort of standard do you get up to in an IB ab initio language? For example would I have enough of a grasp of the language to be able to go to Italy as an au pair this summer (after only studying Italian for one year)? Would it be possible to study Italian at university (perhaps as part of a Major/Minor degree?). I'd be interested in anyones experience with an ab initio language. TIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardgal)
    I'm currently in my first year of IB doing Italian ab initio. Up until doing this course I'd never studied a language so although I'm finding it challenging I'm also really enjoying it. My question is: what sort of standard do you get up to in an IB ab initio language? For example would I have enough of a grasp of the language to be able to go to Italy as an au pair this summer (after only studying Italian for one year)? Would it be possible to study Italian at university (perhaps as part of a Major/Minor degree?). I'd be interested in anyones experience with an ab initio language. TIA
    You definitely won't be a fluent speaker by the end of the course but my teacher says you will be if you continue to learn the language for another 1.5-2 years (if you're a fast learner). Eh, It'd be pretty hard to learn a lot of oral this year but I don't know - ask your teacher? Yes, you definitely can study Italian at university (and major or minor in it) but this only applies to American universities - not sure about other country's universities - you can take a placement test to place into a class that is at your level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.