Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I will be applying to university later this year as an applicant for 2016 entry. I undoubtedly want to study French at university, but I cannot choose which language to study as my second choice! Spanish is probably the main contender at the moment but if it is not offered then I cannot choose whether to study Italian or Portuguese. What do you think would be the advantages and disadvantages of studying each of these languages? I would love to live in both Brazil and Italy so that is not a huge issue. However, I do think that Italy would possibly be my preferrable country to live in for the long run. Which has the most stimulating literature and cinema? And job opportunities also come into the equation. But I just want a language that I can hopefully feel the same passion that I feel for French.

Thank you to anyone who answers!

ReputationRep:
    Portuguese in terms of jobs, Brazil is an expanding market. Italy is kind of stagnant in terms of jobs from what I've read.
    There are plenty of great poets and writers in both of those languages, Italian has a more pan- Western European culture and historical influence. However I don't know much about Portuguese writing though that almost makes it more interesting for curiosity's sake.
    Go look up writing in translation to get a feel for it, also films with subtitles, and culture and a little history and one will probably become more appealing than the other eventually.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help with the Portuguese/Italian situation, but I'm a first year French and Spanish student (French advanced, Spanish beginners), and I love Spanish- i never thought I could feel as passionately about a language as I have done with French over the years, but it is brilliant! It is loads easier than French and you'll pick it up quickly having done french aha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessicak96)
    I can't help with the Portuguese/Italian situation, but I'm a first year French and Spanish student (French advanced, Spanish beginners), and I love Spanish- i never thought I could feel as passionately about a language as I have done with French over the years, but it is brilliant! It is loads easier than French and you'll pick it up quickly having done french aha!
    Yeah I did a year 8 Spanish vocabulary test at school and I knew almost all of them just because of doing year 13 French this year haha. So I can definitely see the connections between the languages. Where are you studying them if I may ask? What is the literature of the Spanish course like? Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelLJ)
    Yeah I did a year 8 Spanish vocabulary test at school and I knew almost all of them just because of doing year 13 French this year haha. So I can definitely see the connections between the languages. Where are you studying them if I may ask? What is the literature of the Spanish course like? Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, it's very similar in lots of aspects!
    I'm at lancaster and I absolutely love it here, by literature do you mean the culture side of it? If so, it's more like history and literature combined- it's quite hard but interesting, in the first term we did about Latin America and this term we're doing about Peninsular Spain, I'm just not very good at history haha! Let me know if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    Italian is completely useless in terms of jobs. I would say, from experience, Spanish will open more doors for you than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translation)
    Italian is completely useless in terms of jobs. I would say, from experience, Spanish will open more doors for you than the others.
    I shall take what you say into account but if I may ask, where is it that you did your undergrad? And in what subject? I saw another one of your posts and it seemed to imply that you regretted what you did at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did French and Spanish at undergrad. I don't regret my degree for a minute, but what I think the issue is is that lang undergrads are always told how valuable their language skills are. Unfortunately, when it comes to finding a job, languages by themselves are not enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translation)
    I did French and Spanish at undergrad. I don't regret my degree for a minute, but what I think the issue is is that lang undergrads are always told how valuable their language skills are. Unfortunately, when it comes to finding a job, languages by themselves are not enough.
    That's good, I'm always happy when people choose a university course they enjoy if you don't mind, which university is it that you went to and would you say you are totally fluent in both French & Spanish? I'm just wondering so that I can get an idea of the level of proficiency I can hope to achieve after my degree.

I understand what you are saying about languages on their own, that's why I hope to go to UCL/Oxbridge so that the employment prospects still remain very high.

Did you do a masters/phD at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went to Southampton, and then did a MA Translation at Manchester. Unfortunately, in house translation roles for native EN speakers are extremely rare and very poorly paid. So I wouldn't say going to Oxbridge is going to be that much better, unless of course you're not looking to have a career in langs? I'm the only one out of my course mates who uses languages at work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.