Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I came to uni with no idea what my loan would be, having applying for SF late. I eventually got my loan in to find that it doesn't cover my rent by a long shot and I don't qualify a grant. Because of this I have had to go in to my overdraft and am now roughly -£500. I have decided for second year I am transferring home and commuting to my local uni, while working (in the hopes to get out of my overdraft).

My question to those in their overdraft, how much have you gone in to and how much do you think you'll have raked up by Summer? I can't stop worrying about money and I think by Summer I will be looking at roughly -£650 overdrawn...

Is it more common to be living in overdraft? None of my housemates / coursemates seem to be doing so bad :/

ReputationRep:
    At worst point.

-1500 over draft.
    -1k loan.
    -800 credit card.

I wouldn't worry about being -650 to be honest. Go and work for a recruitment agency over summer and you'll easily make that up over the summer.

Probably more like £1500 over a couple of months if you manage to work full weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've always been well off with cash. I've had a good family and I've earned it easily enough through many different ways which aren't relevant!

However, I know so many people at work who are still in their overdraft from University. Don't worry about it. Extend it to 1.5 or even 2k... They won't ever ring you to force you to pay up... You'll probably have that 2k overdraft for years. I have a 2.5k overdraft on my account but I've never touched it. I was given it when I was 18 and started Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Morale of that btw is to not worry or go changing your life because of 650 quid. Once you leave Uni you'll be on 400+ a week and it won't take long at all to claw back.

(Original post by RosieDreamz)
    Is it more common to be living in overdraft?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieDreamz)
    I came to uni with no idea what my loan would be, having applying for SF late. I eventually got my loan in to find that it doesn't cover my rent by a long shot and I don't qualify a grant. Because of this I have had to go in to my overdraft and am now roughly -£500. I have decided for second year I am transferring home and commuting to my local uni, while working (in the hopes to get out of my overdraft).

My question to those in their overdraft, how much have you gone in to and how much do you think you'll have raked up by Summer? I can't stop worrying about money and I think by Summer I will be looking at roughly -£650 overdrawn...

Is it more common to be living in overdraft? None of my housemates / coursemates seem to be doing so bad :/
    I got a £500 overdraft but have opted to be skint at the end of term rather than go deeper. If work gives me the hours i want then i should leave university out of my overdraft this summer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.