If you increase the number of atoms in fuels why do we get more heat energy HELP PLE

Watch
The Lonely don
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I just need someone to answer the question please
Shannonleah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Increasing the number of atoms in fuels means that there are more atoms to react together to produce energy. The kinetic energy applied when fuel is combusted would be applied to a greater number of molecules, increasing the chances of a successful collision (as there are more of them to collide). The products of combustion are heat/energy, so adding more atoms would push the equilibrium to the right hand side (to completion) because the system always tries to counteract any change you make.

I think this is right, but I'm not that good at chemistry... I'd check with a chemistry teacher.
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
More atoms within a molecule means that the combustion reaction uses more other reactants (oxygen) and produces more products(carbon dioxide and water) this makes the enthalpy change of combustion more negative, so more heat energy is given out.

If you meant more molecules, each mole of the fuel contributes heat energy equal to the modulus of the enthalpy change of combustion. If you increase the number of moles, then more energy is contributed.

Most of what Cyanide said was ok, but for a reaction that goes to completion, there is nothing you can do to change the composition of equilibrium. The reaction will always go to completion.
Shannonleah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, actually, that was only for reversible reactions (ones that don't always go to completion). Combustion isn't one.

I dont think you need an awful lot of detail for GCSE though, so don't worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (12)
11.01%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (72)
66.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.84%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
8.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
1.83%

Watched Threads