Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think we should scrap the inefficient, wasteful, and dictatorship dominated UN in favour of a ODN (Organisation of Democratic Nations). As an American, I don't mind listening to the Democratic French, but I get pissed off when the Libyans get chosen as head of human rights and the Security Council refuses to condemn North Korea for Nuclear blackmail in fear of escalating the situation. The UN has become a pathetic waste of space on a very lucrative part of the Manhatten river walk.

What do u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USUK1)
    I think we should scrap the inefficient, wasteful, and dictatorship dominated UN in favour of a ODN (Organisation of Democratic Nations). As an American, I don't mind listening to the Democratic French, but I get pissed off when the Libyans get chosen as head of human rights and the Security Council refuses to condemn North Korea for Nuclear blackmail in fear of escalating the situation. The UN has become a pathetic waste of space on a very lucrative part of the Manhatten river walk.

What do u think?
    It does do an awful lot of good human rights work. However, I agree that as a political body it's pretty lame.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps we should actually start using the UN properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USUK1)

What do u think?
    interesting, but without the UN, All the member countries will be free to do whatever they like without having to ask permission (although america does that anyway). The ODN wouldn't work, simply because some democracies might not join it. I take it that you will probably be an advocate of the US chairing the ODN.

ReputationRep:
    The UN is so broad based that it would be impossible to imagine a real political situation without it;Without the UN u have no world heritage sites, UNICEF, means of mediating world affairs ('non-democratic' countries still are part of this world, we can not ifnore them). it does not dictate (it can indeed be ignored as i'm sure we know, with our beloved mr bush). "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men", any organisation in which people are given more rights than others leads to corruption, inneficiency and can become like many an international organisation, a weight around the neck of progress. We would not want to give up any of our soverign rights to the UN, which would allow it to make progress; yet we consistantly turn to it to mediate and to stand up for nations with less of a political voice. If we want to like in a relativly safe world we need the UN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcirtap)
    The UN is so broad based that it would be impossible to imagine a real political situation without it;Without the UN u have no world heritage sites, UNICEF, means of mediating world affairs ('non-democratic' countries still are part of this world, we can not ifnore them). it does not dictate (it can indeed be ignored as i'm sure we know, with our beloved mr bush). "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men", any organisation in which people are given more rights than others leads to corruption, inneficiency and can become like many an international organisation, a weight around the neck of progress. We would not want to give up any of our soverign rights to the UN, which would allow it to make progress; yet we consistantly turn to it to mediate and to stand up for nations with less of a political voice. If we want to like in a relativly safe world we need the UN.
    Here here. We simply need to begin using it properly, and not allow countries such as America to bypass the UN, especially not back America as was the case with the Iraq invasion.

ReputationRep:
    The UN has for the 25 years been ignored by dictators because it is perceived as weak and insignificant. The ODN would have the collective power of elected representation of the people of the world and would force Non-democratic nations into a situation in which political change is a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest,would you include the U.S as one of those 'non-democratic nations' ? because the last time i checked there was a distinct lack of a legitimately elected ruling power in the whitehouse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    just out of interest,would you include the U.S as one of those 'non-democratic nations' ? because the last time i checked there was a distinct lack of a legitimately elected ruling power in the whitehouse.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Well its something of a trend in democracries for the party or candidate which recieved the most votes to gain power. Id go into more detail but im lazy and notice a lot of previous michael moore discussion on this forum so il point you in his direction if you need elaboration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    What do you mean?
    I would agree that the United States isn't truly democratic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I would agree that the United States isn't truly democratic.
    Details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Details?
    Try reading this: http://www.iknowwhatyoudidlastelecti...reme-court.htm

Also I understand your upper house is more powerful than your elected chamber. One significant power is the declaration of war.

However, although I'm English I do not think our country is that much democratic either.

ReputationRep:
    We need the UN to keep an eye on world events - there's so many organisations affiliated to it. Americans just moan because they're moving towards an isolationist foreign policy and don't like being told off.

ReputationRep:
    The UN seems to be concerned with the environment. This is a good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Try reading this: http://www.iknowwhatyoudidlastelecti...reme-court.htm

Also I understand your upper house is more powerful than your elected chamber. One significant power is the declaration of war.

However, although I'm English I do not think our country is that much democratic either.
    I think you're confused. The UK's upper chamber (the House of Lords) is unelected. In the USA the upper house in Congress is the Senate. Senators are elected every six years. In the lower house, the House of Representatives, elections take place every two years. In many ways the US system of government is much more democratic as indidvidual polticians are less accountable to their party and more accountable to their constituents.

By the way, to stay on topic, I fully support the wide-ranging roles that the UN plays as an international body with many roles and functions, although the circle system nomination to the security council (Libya, Equatorail Guinea?) is a little bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    If an Organisation of Democratic Nations was created, most of the arguing would regard which countries can rightly be called 'democratic'.

Believe it or not, countries such as Zimbabwe, Libya and America actually call themselves democratic! However, I'm sure most rational people would disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but it depends on what you mean by a democracy. To us a democracy may well involve elections and some form of direct representation. Yet, others may well consider a democratic country to be one which represents the will of the people, and this is especially true of Communist republics. Rulers can rule because they were placed there by the people not through elections, but through revolution. They remain democratic as the people do not remove them from power. So, one could argue that North Korea is democratic (this is of course not my opinion) as, according to the state, the Korean Workers Party, headed by Kim Il Sung, came to power as a direct result of the will of the people. It remains democratic as the will of the people has not chosen to remove the KWP from power. This shows that the workers are happy and have chosen not to revolt. Hence the Democratic People's Republic of Korea exists democratically.

Its all a matter of definitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USUK1)

What do u think?
    Yes I agree but we need the UN now more than ever, especially if we want to save what's left of Iraq. American global dominance is turning into ineptitude and failure at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    What power or lack of it the U.N or equivalent can wield is totally dependant on its constituent members. When its members decide to ignore its laws obviously it is weakened, which for me was the main reason for us not to go to war in Iraq even though i was in favour of the war otherwise. What would be achieved by disbanding it and forming a replacement? after all this is how the U.N came to be in the first place- as a replacement to the failed League of Nations.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.