Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everyone!

This is my first post on TSR, so I'm hoping it goes okay and I'm writing in the correct section and whatnot

I'm currently taking GCSE Statistics and we've begun thinking about coursework (three weeks to come up with something solid). However, I'm completely clueless as to what I should do!

I suppose that the most important thing for me is to choose a subject or topic that enables me to get me the highest amount of marks, and I don't want to take any major commitments, so I'm not too keen on collecting primary data.

I've thought about assessing climate and differences in it throughout various parts of the UK, but I'm not quite sure and I worry that it might not be enough for full marks :/

Would anyone have any useful ideas, perchance?

Many thanks in advance,

britishpatriot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishpatriot)
    Hello, everyone!

This is my first post on TSR, so I'm hoping it goes okay and I'm writing in the correct section and whatnot

I'm currently taking GCSE Statistics and we've begun thinking about coursework (three weeks to come up with something solid). However, I'm completely clueless as to what I should do!

I suppose that the most important thing for me is to choose a subject or topic that enables me to get me the highest amount of marks, and I don't want to take any major commitments, so I'm not too keen on collecting primary data.

I've thought about assessing climate and differences in it throughout various parts of the UK, but I'm not quite sure and I worry that it might not be enough for full marks :/

Would anyone have any useful ideas, perchance?

Many thanks in advance,

britishpatriot.

(Original post by strawberries123)
    Hey I'm doing this coursework too, I've only just started it so I'm pretty short for time and I'm confused as to how to start...what sort of hypothesis did you use? I'm thinking of doing something with age and gender but need another interrelated hypothesis...any suggestions?
    Hiya, I've finished this coursework and handed it in. I would do;
    The year 11's will be more accurate than the year 7s. (could see this by the year 7's having a high standard deviation)
    If a person overestimates on a line then they will overestimate on an angle (could show this by there being a positive correlation on the scatter graph with a srcc 0-1)
    The year 7's estimations won't be normally distributed. (box plots, dot plots would show this)

In the plan start by explaining what you want to investigate and write all the questions you have down. Write in detail how you plan to collect your data and what sampling method you will use. Your plan needs to be detailed and explain exactly what your going to do and why you are doing this (what would it show?? why it is important to your investigation??)

Then do your graphs/calculaitons (i did about 5, spearmans rank, scatter diagram, standard deviation, dot plot and box plots) and write an interpretation after each and every one of them saying what they showed you and whether they prove or disprove your hypothesis.

For the evaluation explain what went well in your investigation, what you could have done better (taken a bigger sample as...) and for each hypothesis write whether they were proved or disproved in your investigation and say how you know this.

Its pretty simple and easy to understand when you know exactly what you need to do!! I would take a look at the mark scheme for every section to see what you need to do to get an A. The coursework is out of 40 marks and to get a C you need to get 20 marks, if you include standard deviation, box plots and spearmans rank then you are much more likely to get higher marks. Its important to use your own work and i would do whatever you think is necessary for your investigation and not just what i put.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2258115

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApplyYourself)
    (Original post by strawberries123)
    Hey I'm doing this coursework too, I've only just started it so I'm pretty short for time and I'm confused as to how to start...what sort of hypothesis did you use? I'm thinking of doing something with age and gender but need another interrelated hypothesis...any suggestions?
    Hiya, I've finished this coursework and handed it in. I would do;
    The year 11's will be more accurate than the year 7s. (could see this by the year 7's having a high standard deviation)
    If a person overestimates on a line then they will overestimate on an angle (could show this by there being a positive correlation on the scatter graph with a srcc 0-1)
    The year 7's estimations won't be normally distributed. (box plots, dot plots would show this)

In the plan start by explaining what you want to investigate and write all the questions you have down. Write in detail how you plan to collect your data and what sampling method you will use. Your plan needs to be detailed and explain exactly what your going to do and why you are doing this (what would it show?? why it is important to your investigation??)

Then do your graphs/calculaitons (i did about 5, spearmans rank, scatter diagram, standard deviation, dot plot and box plots) and write an interpretation after each and every one of them saying what they showed you and whether they prove or disprove your hypothesis.

For the evaluation explain what went well in your investigation, what you could have done better (taken a bigger sample as...) and for each hypothesis write whether they were proved or disproved in your investigation and say how you know this.

Its pretty simple and easy to understand when you know exactly what you need to do!! I would take a look at the mark scheme for every section to see what you need to do to get an A. The coursework is out of 40 marks and to get a C you need to get 20 marks, if you include standard deviation, box plots and spearmans rank then you are much more likely to get higher marks. Its important to use your own work and i would do whatever you think is necessary for your investigation and not just what i put.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2258115
    Hey-up, ApplyYourself!

Many thanks for your feedback, and your warm welcome. I saw the thread you've quoted from earlier, but was worried that it has become outdated and the like, although your post here has made me realise that there are probably some suggestions lurking there.

Unfortunately, the stimuli that we can use for GCSE Stats changes every year, so I'm not able to use the same hypotheses as someone who has already done it This year, we're limited to doing statistical investigations either on climates, journeys or puzzles and games.

Many thanks anyway, and I'll definitely give a closer look there!

britishpatriot.

ReputationRep:
    What is the question in which you have to study?
    Edit: And what exam board?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.