Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

High metabolism, how can i put weight on? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!
    So I used to go to work, 7-2 job everyday which tired me out so as soon as I got home and my butt hit something comfy, I'd fall asleep straaaight away, So I've been taking multivitamin with iron tablets which really do help me now, I don't feel the urge to sleep during the day, got a lot more energy and I also have a few coffees to keep me going.

But onto the weight side, I eat and eat and eat, but can never put on weight? super high metabolism? So what kind of foods can I eat to put on weight!:confused:

when I get home from work I eat 6 crumpets, I get some roasties in the oven and have a few of them too, but I get hungry all the time, what foods can I eat to keep the pounds on instead of staying the saaaame weight.. quickest cheapest option? or what actually works? IE protein shakes? or do they do carb shakes? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What's a typical day's meals like for you?

The weight gain meal plan I had from a dietitiain (although obviously it will vary for different people...) was like this:

Double breakfast (500kcal) - e.g. cereal and 150ml milk and 2x toast (with topping e.g. butter and jam, peanut butter), and a fruit portion (either fruit, fruit salad, sultanas etc on cereal, or fruit juice)

Double snack in morning - this meant 300-400kcal. A single snack was 150-200kcal. Could have been e.g. 3 biscuits, a packet of sweets or a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, some nuts, a Nutrigrain bar, 2x toast/crumpets/etc. For double snacks we'd usually have 300ml milk with one of the above, or a double snack could be a higher calorie snack e.g. a slice of cake, a big cookie, a pastry, etc

Lunch (400-500kcal) - e.g. 2x toast with butter, baked beans and salad, jacket potato with 1 topping and salad, a sandwich/wrap/pitta with filling (including fat portion) e.g. cheese, tuna, salmon, chicken, ham and salad, 2 veggie sausages with couscous, etc etc

Light pudding after lunch (150-200kcal) - e.g. a yoghurt, Muller Rice, 2 scoops of ice cream, tinned fruit and custard

Double snack in afternoon (same as above)

Dinner (500-600kcal) - pretty normal dinners e.g. spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, shepherd's pie and veg, fishcakes, stuffed peppers, roast dinners, curry, chilli, etc etc.

Main pudding (300-400kcal) - something like a fruit crumble/pie, rice pudding & jam, slice of cheesecake, fruit tart, sponge & custard, lemon meringue pie etc etc with 1 scoop of ice cream

Double snack at night (same as above)

That was about 2,700kcal so it will obviously need to be different if your BMR is different for example. Do you know what your BMR is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    What's a typical day's meals like for you?

The weight gain meal plan I had from a dietitiain (although obviously it will vary for different people...) was like this:

Double breakfast (500kcal) - e.g. cereal and 150ml milk and 2x toast (with topping e.g. butter and jam, peanut butter), and a fruit portion (either fruit, fruit salad, sultanas etc on cereal, or fruit juice)

Double snack in morning - this meant 300-400kcal. A single snack was 150-200kcal. Could have been e.g. 3 biscuits, a packet of sweets or a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, some nuts, a Nutrigrain bar, 2x toast/crumpets/etc. For double snacks we'd usually have 300ml milk with one of the above, or a double snack could be a higher calorie snack e.g. a slice of cake, a big cookie, a pastry, etc

Lunch (400-500kcal) - e.g. 2x toast with butter, baked beans and salad, jacket potato with 1 topping and salad, a sandwich/wrap/pitta with filling (including fat portion) e.g. cheese, tuna, salmon, chicken, ham and salad, 2 veggie sausages with couscous, etc etc

Light pudding after lunch (150-200kcal) - e.g. a yoghurt, Muller Rice, 2 scoops of ice cream, tinned fruit and custard

Double snack in afternoon (same as above)

Dinner (500-600kcal) - pretty normal dinners e.g. spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, shepherd's pie and veg, fishcakes, stuffed peppers, roast dinners, curry, chilli, etc etc.

Main pudding (300-400kcal) - something like a fruit crumble/pie, rice pudding & jam, slice of cheesecake, fruit tart, sponge & custard, lemon meringue pie etc etc with 1 scoop of ice cream

Double snack at night (same as above)

That was about 2,700kcal so it will obviously need to be different if your BMR is different for example. Do you know what your BMR is?
    I have no idea what that means, no, but die to working, and everyone in the household working, there are no set meals, and sometimes I get lazy and make nothing! But I'm trying to make easy things, when I come home from work, that would be sufficient enough for me to gain weight, ie crumpets, most days I just have 12 chicken nuggets in 2 sandwich's because its really easy to make! I can snack a lot, that's no problem, but instead of crap like crisps, maybe oat bars or nuts or something along those lines? As for during work, I have 4 slices of toast at 10 am, and a banana and a few biscuitsat 7am,

ReputationRep:
    So potentially, I could have a banana, a few biscuits, toast with peanut butter, a few pastery/oatie snacks while at work, then when I get home, some crumpets, maybe some pasta (with pesto), roast potatoes that are quite easy to put in or a jacket potato, and just have a carby snack in between and stuff? And then repeat.. Must put weight on!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.