Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone had local anaesthetic for a procedure? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm having a small operation on Monday, and I have to admit the thing I'm most scared of at the mo is the local anaesthetic! The operation is on my lower back, and the idea that I'll be awake whilst they are chopping me up really makes me anxious.

I also feel that the injection will hurt.

Anyone any experiences of local anaesthetic? I wish they'd just put me to sleep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Only for having teeth removed; so my experience is more than likely completely different to yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Only for having teeth removed; so my experience is more than likely completely different to yours.
    Yeah I've had teeth removed so I know what that's like. Just feels a bit scarier when it's your back!

I rang up today to ask if it was general or local, she said general. Then I read a info page she directed me to on the internet and it said local. Hmph.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have. The needle stings for like a split second and the fluid stinges for another split second then you can't feel any pain. You may feel them poking you but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had local anaesthetic twice, both for different operations on my toenails. The first operation was more simple, but because it didn't work, I had to have the more foolproof second version instead.

It's kind of an odd feeling. You know the flap of skin resting on the elbow joint? It's like how you can barely feel pain with that particular bit of flesh. It's like all the pain receptors have been turned off, but not quite all of the nerve endings so you can still feel something's going on, but can't quite make out what. Like if you have a bad instance of numbness and pins and needles and the sensation in that limb is really dull and undefined.

It's definitely not painful, though (bar the initial injection, I mean). Whatever you may think of anaesthetic, it's infinitely better than having none at all...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.