Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 and I have never been in a relationship. From age 14 to 19 I have not spoken to any girls. This trend will continue for the rest of my life, meaning that I will die alone. I have male friends who too don't talk to girls. I feel very empty inside when I look at people who are in a relationship - as though my existence means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Don't put so much pressure on yourself to get into a relationsho but if you're worried about it or want to really get into a relationship maybe try just speaking to a few more people. Walk before you run though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plastic Face)
    I am 19 and I have never been in a relationship. From age 14 to 19 I have not spoken to any girls. This trend will continue for the rest of my life, meaning that I will die alone. I have male friends who too don't talk to girls. I feel very empty inside when I look at people who are in a relationship - as though my existence means nothing.
    Are you seriously saying that for the past 5 years you haven't spoken a word to a member of the opposite gender?
    it's probably not as bad as you're making it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    Are you seriously saying that for the past 5 years you haven't spoken a word to a member of the opposite gender?
    it's probably not as bad as you're making it out.
    Of course, I do say hello and show my politeness and manners, but I can't say I've ever had a conversation with them.

ReputationRep:
    Um... Dude you're still a teenager!

ReputationRep:
    Your not alone, I barely speak to guys unless I have classes with them where I am forced to speak because we are in groups or doing an experiment, other than that not really. Seriously I know where you are coming from, how to fix this problem, I have no idea. I thought university would bring me out of my shell :/

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I do say hello and show my politeness and manners, but I can't say I've ever had a conversation with them.
    oh i see what you mean. maybe join a club, yoga or meditation can improve your mindset.
    Here are some confidence tips i recommend you watch this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc
    Take the first step always, don't wait for things to come to you, create your own opportunities.
    if you're in university sit next to some girls (obviously ask "hey do you mind if i sit here") during a lecture then start up a conversation regarding your course, then see how the conversation flows, Also if you're worried as sounding weird or awkward, get out of your head for a few seconds, think "you know what i don't give a damn". hopefully that should help!
    P.s. Practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    If you are under 40 and have never been with anyone then there is nothing to worry about. And even then...

You are 19, surely you have more pressing things to be worrying about?

Quite honestly if you feel empty without a relationship then you DEFINITELY should not be in one. You need to look at your own life and sort it out before you can even consider being with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosebud114)
    Your not alone, I barely speak to guys unless I have classes with them where I am forced to speak because we are in groups or doing an experiment, other than that not really. Seriously I know where you are coming from, how to fix this problem, I have no idea. I thought university would bring me out of my shell :/
    If I were an Oxbridge student where this kind of behaviour is more common, I could use my intelligence as a reason for my peculiar behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    oh i see what you mean. maybe join a club, yoga or meditation can improve your mindset.
    Here are some confidence tips i recommend you watch this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc
    Take the first step always, don't wait for things to come to you, create your own opportunities.
    if you're in university sit next to some girls (obviously ask "hey do you mind if i sit here") during a lecture then start up a conversation regarding your course, then see how the conversation flows, Also if you're worried as sounding weird or awkward, get out of your head for a few seconds, think "you know what i don't give a damn". hopefully that should help!
    P.s. Practice makes perfect!
    Clubs and societies are dull.

You know what, I think I just can't be bothered talking to people. They are too simplistic.

ReputationRep:
    Haha you are pretty much like me

ReputationRep:
    Clubs and societies are dull.

You know what, I think I just can't be bothered talking to people. They are too simplistic.
    Well then i'm afraid i cannot help you there

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.