Is Classics and Philosophy classed as soft subjects?

Watch
elmosandy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
And are they good?
nerg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do em both lmao and I wouldn't consider them soft
They're in the main section of A-levels instead of limited suitability on the Cambridge thingy
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable...t-combinations
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally would not class them as soft, but I assume some people will as they are not STEM.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerg)
I do em both lmao and I wouldn't consider them soft
They're in the main section of A-levels instead of limited suitability on the Cambridge thingy
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable...t-combinations
Is it good?

(Original post by zetamcfc)
I personally would not class them as soft, but I assume some people will as they are not STEM.
Oh okay
inthechaos
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Classics is generally regarded quite highly by universities (or so I've been told, I have an A level in Classical Civilisation) because its a mixture of subjects i.e. language, literature, history, politics, art etc.
Mequa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zetamcfc)
Ah yes, good old STEM snobbery.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mequa)
Ah yes, good old STEM snobbery.
Lmao

(Original post by inthechaos)
Classics is generally regarded quite highly by universities (or so I've been told, I have an A level in Classical Civilisation) because its a mixture of subjects i.e. language, literature, history, politics, art etc.
Ah okay might do it tbh seems alright if it's too hard i'll drop thanks x
inthechaos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you know which exam board it is or what topics you'll study? I may be able to give more specific advice.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
Do you know which exam board it is or what topics you'll study? I may be able to give more specific advice.
Urm I think it's AQA
inthechaos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it is then it's the exam board I did and the literature subjects, odyssey, greek tragedy etc. are not too tricky and are generally just like english lit. BUT the other two subjects I did (Sculpture & Architecture and Tiberius & Claudius) are very difficult if you aren't good at retaining information, it's quite date heavy and obviously since names are strange they too can be difficult. It is a really enjoyable course though, I found it very interesting.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
If it is then it's the exam board I did and the literature subjects, odyssey, greek tragedy etc. are not too tricky and are generally just like english lit. BUT the other two subjects I did (Sculpture & Architecture and Tiberius & Claudius) are very difficult if you aren't good at retaining information, it's quite date heavy and obviously since names are strange they too can be difficult. It is a really enjoyable course though, I found it very interesting.

Ah okay and is there Latin in the course?
inthechaos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elmosandy)
Ah okay and is there Latin in the course?
Nope, which I was kinda sad about.
elmosandy
Rep:
?
Nope, which I was kinda sad about.

Oh right, heard there was but ok:/
inthechaos
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it is the same course I did then I didn't do a single bit of Latin, it may just be a different course though.
abi_parsnips
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do AQA classics and for the first AS unit ( Cicero and the Roman republic) there was Latin in, not too much though just the odd words- no grammar or anything.

And as for wether it's "soft" or not I think it's the hardest of my subjects, the others being Biology and Chemistry just because of the amount of dates you have to know and the way in which essays have to be written
elmosandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by abi_parsnips)
I do AQA classics and for the first AS unit ( Cicero and the Roman republic) there was Latin in, not too much though just the odd words- no grammar or anything.

And as for wether it's "soft" or not I think it's the hardest of my subjects, the others being Biology and Chemistry just because of the amount of dates you have to know and the way in which essays have to be written
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (70)
28.23%
England (84)
33.87%
Belgium (20)
8.06%
Germany (30)
12.1%
Spain (3)
1.21%