notbeyonce*
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What's the difference between fine art AS/A, art btec level 3 and foundation diploma in art? Which ones are better for what? :confused:
catdog2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have the exact same question! Hope someone answers this one
Jakelord98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by notbeyonce*)
What's the difference between fine art AS/A, art btec level 3 and foundation diploma in art? Which ones are better for what? :confused:
I'm pretty sure the difference is that in an Art A-level can be taken along other subjects like biology or chemistry and other stuff, and the level 3 diploma is a 2 year course purely on art and design, which you will come out with the equivalent of 3 A-levels if both years are completed successfully.

I'm currently doing a Diploma in art and design, and I'm really enjoying it. But, I would recommend that if you really want to peruse a career in art (for example, I'm aiming to be a concept artist one day ) you should take the diploma as it gives you more experience, which at the end of he day is more important, because employers in the industry wont give one if you have masters in Art, as long as you have the ability to complete their work effectively and to a professional standard.

Also, I've heard it can be hard work doing an Art A-level alongside other subjects because it can get very demanding towards the end. So unless you have your sights to become an artist, I would be weary of it. See if you can ask someone about the workload who has done it before if your stuck, its the best way to find out.

But if you want to keep Art an option, you could always practice on the side. But you have to be consistent and keep at it or the skill will drop.

Anyway, enough rambling. Hope this helps!
notbeyonce*
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for the help! Is btec art as good as fine art as/a because I thought btecs are not as respected?
Jakelord98
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Art and design and fine art are two different subjects for the most part. In fine art you would be focusing on art history and more expressive forms of art. In art and design you would be doing more practical forms of art. Both are respectable, but it depends on what you want to do.

I chose art and design because I aim to be a concept artist, as it offers more opportunities to practise for that. I'm less interested in fine art becuase, although it is more expressive, it gives less opportunity to practise these things. Also, doing art and design is a much more open ended subject, it allows you to explore different forms of practical art in the real world, and gives you more chance to move to another field like graphic design or illustration at uni if you wanted to.
Jakelord98
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At the end of the day, getting a job in the art industry is dependent on whether you have the ability to do it. Although having qualifications and studying is still very important, employers are going to judge you on your ability to produce art, and not on if you have good qualifications.

Hope I was able to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (62)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (126)
45.32%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.95%
I'm really nervous (54)
19.42%

Watched Threads