The Student Room Group

What would you do if your degree was revoked?

just interested
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do i get the feeling you're planning a killing spree?
Original post by polpo
bump

Hey there,

No need to bump your thread as it was already at the top of the forum! Please don't do it again for a few hours. :smile:

It's my understanding that unless you cheated or studied illegally then the university can't revoke your degree?

Google only seems to bring up American universities that do that. :iiam:
Reply 4
Original post by polpo
Can you have your degree revoked after you have received it if you have not cheated
I can't see why an awarding body can't do that if they want. "Bringing the establishment into disrepute" or some such.

Original post by polpo
e.g. you were convicted of driving carelessly
They would be mad to do that because of the bad publicity it would get them.

Original post by polpo
e.g. you openly support something the university is politically opposed to e.g. more stricter immigration laws?
I bet that happened back when South Africa was under apartheid. Academia was furious in their desire to punish South Africa over apartheid.

Original post by polpo
Or if for example Stalin had studied in a UK university, could he have had his degree revoked because of the Communist threat he posed or the purges?
Stalin was not a communist, he was a dictator. He, in effect, stole the communist state that had been formed.

The purges were an internal matter.

Tony Blair being an international war criminal would be a valid reason for cancelling his law-related (jurisprudence) degree.

Original post by polpo
Also when your degree is revoked can you still keep the certificate and say that you studied there, or do you lose those privileges, and if you were e.g. a doctor would you no longer be able to practise medicine?
The certificate is yours. You did study there. But you couldn't say "I have a xyz degree from Abc". And, a doctor would be struck off and not permitted to practice medicine, also most professional bodies would eject you.

Original post by polpo
I'm just interested in your views of the outcomes of these situations, I highly doubt anybody would fall into any of them.
Google "degree withdrawn" - there's plenty of them.

So, come on, what did you do wrong?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simes
I can't see why an awarding body can't do that if they want. "Bringing the establishment into disrepute" or some such.

They would be mad to do that because of the bad publicity it would get them.

I bet that happened back when South Africa was under apartheid. Academia was furious in their desire to punish South Africa over apartheid.

Stalin was not a communist, he was a dictator. He, in effect, stole the communist state that had been formed.

The purges were an internal matter.

Tony Blair being an international war criminal would be a valid reason for cancelling his law-related (jurisprudence) degree.

The certificate is yours. You did study there. But you couldn't say "I have a xyz degree from Abc". And, a doctor would be struck off and not permitted to practice medicine, also most professional bodies would eject you.

Google "degree withdrawn" - there's plenty of them.

So, come on, what did you do wrong?

I haven't done anything wrong, I was just curious :smile:
Reply 6
It would seem that a lot of UK universities will only revoke a degree in the event of "allegations of academic malpractice concerning work submitted for an award of the university". Basically, most universities (I checked Manchester, Newcastle, Swansea, London) will only revoke a degree if you are found to have cheated (via fraud or deception) in earning that degree. However, some universities, such as Birmingham, can revoke degrees for this reason and also if someone "is convicted of a criminal offence triable on indictment" (so if you had a criminal charge brought against you and were convicted of it).

So to answer your question, a) it depends on the university and b) it depends if the university revokes degrees due to crimes and if so, how serious the crime is (I doubt they would revoke a degree over multiple cases of bad driving. They probably would if you committed mass murder).
Most place won't do that and seeing as you can apply to university or earn a degree (via distance learning) in prison I don't think it will matter unless you bought the institution in to disrepute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending