Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this sounds bad but I was wondering if anyone knows of any bursaries people with diabetes can apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol really? So anyone with chronic illnesses can all of a sudden get bursaries?

as long as your diabetes isn't affecting your work, then you won't get anything

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought, I had just heard that there were things out there that didn't seen to make sense but still existed, for instance the Vegetarian Society apparently give people up to £400 if they stay vegetarians during university. I figured I might as well ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CazD)
    That's what I thought, I had just heard that there were things out there that didn't seen to make sense but still existed, for instance the Vegetarian Society apparently give people up to £400 if they stay vegetarians during university. I figured I might as well ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would depend on how your condition affects you. If you feel that it can impact your studies for example problems attending lectures. There is a fund for this which is used to support students that have a disability or medical condition that affects their studies.

DSA (Disabled Student Allowance) - the name is a little deceiving, it does include medical conditions.

Speak to your disability advisor about your condition they can help advise you further on DSA. Also do a Google search for DSA and there's a plethora of information that is helpful for applicants and current DSA awarded students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend who has diabetes got support through DSA as she had to continuously monitor her sugar levels and when she needs to eat something she has to eat immediately. She received a laptop as in the computer labs at her uni there was a strict no food rule. It's worth applying for DSA. It's not a bursary so you don't get money, but they can provide equipment that could help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awesome thank you for the information, I will have a look

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You may get PIP (assuming you're not receiving DLA) if your diabetes means you have care and/or mobility needs. But for the most part, unless you have other disabilities, you would be expected as an adult, to be able to self care.

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to DSA they will assess your needs. You will then be offered support and whatever they feel you need. I received a laptop, printer, and some other stuff to help with my course. And also simple things like a statement saying i need to have breaks etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    DSA will pay for study related stuff only and not everyday disability stuff or costs that every student has.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have diabetes, but I have a hole in my heart and it needs to be filled, is there a bursary for that?

ReputationRep:
    lol really? So anyone with chronic illnesses can all of a sudden get bursaries?
    How about you leave my man alone? He has an ACTUAL LIFE THREATENING illness, not a stupid page 3 scare story! You better stay away from caz. he dosent want anything to do with a girl like you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.