Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to build an online store. I only have basic computer knowledge. I can't build a website from scratch with all the computer code and language.

I am therefore looking for ready made online store I can easily edit myself. I of course want the website to look professional and most importantly have secure checkout and allow me to process orders easily.

Additionally it would be great if I could have an email account that comes with the website in which I can deal with individual queries and send newsletters, and emails on promotions.

I have already seen godaddy and shopify offer online store builders. Between the two which one is better? Has anyone got any experience using any one of these? Are there any other online store builders anyone could recommend.

I will really appreciate the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered eBay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Have you considered eBay?

Yeah I thought of ebay, but I don't want to use it. I want to independent rather than being affiliated under a certain company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ontrack7)
    Yeah I thought of ebay, but I don't want to use it. I want to independent rather than being affiliated under a certain company.
    Fair enough, I suppose. You will save yourself a lot of time and investment using eBay though and also have the benefit of an immediate, wide and active userbase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ontrack7)
    If you only have basic knowledge of computing then Shopify or Storenvy are your best bets. Which solution best fits your needs is something you'll have to spend time researching yourself.

ReputationRep:
    First of all I will suggest WordPress eCommerce. Set up Wordpress then add any WooCommerce or WP eCommerce theme. Its easy user friendly and affordable.

If ur store is going to be big enough. And have alot of orders and shipping texs.... then u should try Magento Platform. Megento is fully designed and developed for online store.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    best e-commerce sites based on magento platform
    let me reccomend you these guys magecom.net to make your site
    you can see portfolio and a lot of useful information also
    or at least try to find anything else

good luck with your site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anita Li)
    best e-commerce sites based on magento platform
    let me reccomend you these guys magecom.net to make your site
    you can see portfolio and a lot of useful information also
    or at least try to find anything else

good luck with your site
    You mean, you want to self promote?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=58855859

ReputationRep:
    For the UK and Europe I can recommend the free community version of the online shop software OXID esales. It is widely used, loads quickly, is reliable and handles the VAT system which is UK and EU specific correctly by default.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with shopify

but if your serious about ecommerce then it's magento all the way

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I prefer Weebly as an eCommerce website builder. It has all the fratures one needs to create a high-quality online store.
    Here is more valuable information on this topic - http://ecommercebuilders.blogspot.com/ . Enjoy reading and start acting

ReputationRep:
    I know this is an old post but very helpful!!!
    (Original post by dantte)
    First of all I will suggest WordPress eCommerce. Set up Wordpress then add any WooCommerce or WP eCommerce theme. Its easy user friendly and affordable.

If ur store is going to be big enough. And have alot of orders and shipping texs.... then u should try Magento Platform. Megento is fully designed and developed for online store.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to creating eCommerce websites, this post might be useful for someone who is looking for creating a powerful online store - http://www.beautifullife.info/web-de...erce-builders/ . I've stumbled on it by accident. I was surfing the web in search of a suitable solution for my online store . Initially I was leaning towards using WordPress, but this article convinced me to use a website builder as they are easier to use and less time-consuming.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.