The Student Room Group

Girls, Tulips or Roses for Valentines Day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leavemyarcelona
I'll be sending flowers to a special someone on Valentine's Day, but I can't decide between Tulips or Roses. What would be your preference?

Neither, flowers are bad for the environment and a a waste.

If you do have to celebrate valentines day why can't you get something a bit more personal and/or lasting?
I've become a big fan of gardening and i love Tulips, a fully grown Tulip is so amazing. That being said i'd not buy the girl a bunch of them, but a real plant. Not only because it's cheaper but because you can spout a load of romantic nurturing and loving stuff about how it will growth your relationship.
Just a bit of advice, apparently white lilies (my favourite flowers) are what you give at funerals and shouldnt be given to a girl on valentines day :grumble:

Learnt this the hard way. Wish I'd thought to make a thread to learn about what flowers mean. :moon:
Tulips. Roses are horribly unimaginative, better to go for her favourite flowers ( sunflowers are mine).
If you want to go against the flow of things slightly, get different coloured roses, each colour has a separate meaning (look them up) and then attach a card with what each coloured rose stands for i.e. if you look them up yellow is friendship I think. So then the roses will have a much deeper meaning.

I've been hinting for my boyfriend to do this with no such luck :frown: Hahaha. I think it would be cute
Reply 25
Original post by Folion
Might not be for a girl though.

Anyway back with OP just to send anything is lovely so you're on a winner no matter what. Are tulips the intended recipient's favourite? If you know their favourite I'd go for that all the time. As I said to send anything is nice but red roses can be a bit cliché like you've not thought about it much, maybe look for more unusual colours or variety of rose. Roses tend to keep better than tulips.

i agree make things abit different
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
I'll be sending flowers to a special someone on Valentine's Day, but I can't decide between Tulips or Roses. What would be your preference?

neither.
You are showing her you care TOO MUCH.
You are a man.
Just take her out or take her shopping she dont need to know you love her like that.
Reply 27
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Just a bit of advice, apparently white lilies (my favourite flowers) are what you give at funerals and shouldnt be given to a girl on valentines day :grumble:

Learnt this the hard way. Wish I'd thought to make a thread to learn about what flowers mean. :moon:

Google is your friend :yep:

OP, it really depends on the girl and the relationship.
Roses are traditional, so they're probably the better option, though going for pink or white could make them slightly more unusual. Or go for a mixture of colours.

I'd love it if someone sent me flowers :daydreaming:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Mix em up!!!!
Reply 29
Never do white roses. According to the movie the third person they are used to represent not purity, but lies.
Reply 30
Original post by glycerin
Never do white roses. According to the movie the third person they are used to represent not purity, but lies.

Really? I have never heard this before.

And yellow is jealousy or friendship, so that's a no too.
Original post by Maid Marian
Awwwwww. OP, you sweetheart! I would jump so hard with happiness if someone ever sent me flowers :lovehug: Though I won't hope for it, I've never even had so much as a card for Valentine's Day.:emo: Go for tulips, they're lovely. :yy:

Flowers are NOT pointless, they smell heavenly and are a romantic gesture. :love:

Flowers die. Love dies. Jewellery is timeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally prefer a meal and making good memories. A rose/tulip can die
Original post by Rakas21
I've become a big fan of gardening and i love Tulips, a fully grown Tulip is so amazing. That being said i'd not buy the girl a bunch of them, but a real plant. Not only because it's cheaper but because you can spout a load of romantic nurturing and loving stuff about how it will growth your relationship.

Apart from the "spouting" stuff, I actually agree. Flowers die so quickly, they're really a waste of money. I much prefer plants, or, at least, bulbs because they can be replanted.

My personal favourite bulbs are daffodils. And I was once given a scotch bonnet plant and had loads of fun with growing it and using the bonnets in food (caution recommended).
Roses, personally. They may be stereotypical but they are symbolic and connotative of love and romance.

But that's just me. 😊🌹
I'd love pink roses.
Try to find some in her favourite colour or a mix of flowers. Roses and lilies (both pink) look gorgeous together
Original post by Clip
Roses on Valentines Day is going to have a significant cost attached. I think £40 for a dozen long STEMM red roses is about where it starts.

Shouldn't expect them to need to cost that much, I bought some for my mum last valentines day £5 at most from aldi, just removed the label as it already came in a nice enough bouquet paper. They also lasted weeks!
Original post by Kittiara
Apart from the "spouting" stuff, I actually agree. Flowers die so quickly, they're really a waste of money. I much prefer plants, or, at least, bulbs because they can be replanted.

My personal favourite bulbs are daffodils. And I was once given a scotch bonnet plant and had loads of fun with growing it and using the bonnets in food (caution recommended).

Not quite as romantic though, handing someone a packet of bulbs instead of a bouquet of roses on Valentine's day
Original post by Birkenhead
Not quite as romantic though, handing someone a packet of bulbs instead of a bouquet of roses on Valentine's day

Probably not :biggrin:. It really depends on who you give them to, though. It's all about knowing the person and their preferences. Generally speaking, however, flowers are the safest bet.
Buy her a small rose bush or something that will last longer, than a bunch of flower would. Such a nicer gesture in my opinion

maybe an orchid they're so beautiful, just my opinion though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending