Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any other severe social phobics kinda dreading University? watch

I can't be the only one around here who's scared of the social aspects of Uni. Between
    -Shared accommodation & communal living
    -Giant packed cities
    -Public transport
    -A massive institution frequented by 5-20,000 other human beings
    -Even sitting next to someone in a lecture, never mind two people
    -GROUP PROJECTS :ahhhhh:
    It's just dawned on me how darn difficult - nigh, impossible - it is to escape if you're an anti-socialite and terrified of other people and I'm kinda freaking out about it. Not even sure I'll crank it out to third year, really.

Any top tips from any SA sufferers surviving/working through/planning on going to uni??

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I can't be the only one around here who's scared of the social aspects of Uni. Between
    -Shared accommodation & communal living
    -Giant packed cities
    -Public transport
    -A massive institution frequented by 5-20,000 other human beings
    -Even sitting next to someone in a lecture, never mind two people
    -GROUP PROJECTS :ahhhhh:
    It's just dawned on me how darn difficult - nigh, impossible - it is to escape if you're an anti-socialite and terrified of other people and I'm kinda freaking out about it. Not even sure I'll crank it out to third year, really.

Any top tips from any SA sufferers surviving/working through/planning on going to uni??
    hi, I have social anxiety. before i got to uni i felt like you, and i would hear stories about uni being transformative and just think it does not apply. i thought my social anxiety was the WORST...

well first year i lived with 13 other people.... when i first got to uni i wanted to leave... but i was also determined and stayed... many situations i have found difficult and i felt pressured to go to everything. well, everytime i did something social i felt better and i ended up joining a fair few societies. going to socials and clubs, doing shopping, joining meditation club, went on a sports weekend away, drinking games, year abroad, living out.......

now i remember a lot of times i felt like it was hard.... but uni is a great place, be open to positive experiences, respect your need to solitude, sometimes just push yourself to do stuff.

on the whole everyone is very nice. actually im sure it was obvious i was shy, but many people opened up to me too... comparing myself to before uni i am much more confident, and fulfilled

im sure you can do it see things in positive light. and sometimes its ok to be nervous and shy

good luck

Many people are shy and many struggle to settle into uni life. So the issue is how shy or anxious are you?

I had bad anxiety diagnosed by a doctor. I attended university twice and quit twice, it just wasn't right for me and I feel I wasted 3 years of my life trying to make it work. I found there were far too many triggers that made university too stressful to both attend and study. The actual study was fine and I got good grades. However all the social interaction, huge lectures, forced group work, living away from home and so on was simply too much to cope with and drove me to depression and despair. Speaking to people was extremely difficult, I didn't make any friends in that time and barely contributed (verbally) to group projects.

I would say If you are determined to give it a go but worried about how you will cope then set yourself a fixed time you will attend before 'reviewing' the situation. If you are going to try then you need to give it a good go, but at the same time there is no point hanging on and on when there is no enjoyment there and it is impacting negatively on your health.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.