Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My flatmate has smashed up his room and the living room, HELP!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    None of us know what to do, he says he's fine but he's locked himself in the living room and has smashed all his draws and tables in his room but he won't respond to us. We can hear him crying, laughing and mumbling to himself but he won't respond to us. He has done smaller stuff like this before but not with the crying/laughing/mumbling part. He has an exam tomorrow and has just told us he is gay last week, I don't know if that's relevent though.
    Advice? We are a flat of guys and none of us have any experience of this.

ReputationRep:
    Well, talk to him and try to get him to open the door.

Failing that, if you think he is a danger to himself or to you, then I would call the Police.

That may seem harsh, but he could be suicidal, so it is probably for his own safety.

Whether, you choose to warn him beforehand is really a decision based on how serious the situation is.

ReputationRep:
    He's just said he's OK but he won't open the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMann)
    None of us know what to do, he says he's fine but he's locked himself in the living room and has smashed all his draws and tables in his room but he won't respond to us. We can hear him crying, laughing and mumbling to himself but he won't respond to us. He has done smaller stuff like this before but not with the crying/laughing/mumbling part. He has an exam tomorrow and has just told us he is gay last week, I don't know if that's relevent though.
    if its student accomodation called security if not call the police

ReputationRep:
    What happened???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hman1994)
    if its student accomodation called security if not call the police
    We're in second year so its a flat. Its been about an hour since he stopped smashing stuff and he seems sedate now, he said he's OK and we said he can come out and wake us if he needs to talk to someone. I think the police is a bit extreme, he might have had a drink when he was revising because that's what happened when he went a bit like this before.

ReputationRep:
    seems like he is having a phycotic episode/mental breakdown of some sort. i would get help if possible from the police or call 111 or something and try and get him on the phone to the operator etc

ReputationRep:
    We're in second year so its a flat. Its been about an hour since he stopped smashing stuff and he seems sedate now, he said he's OK and we said he can come out and wake us if he needs to talk to someone. I think the police is a bit extreme, he might have had a drink when he was revising because that's what happened when he went a bit like this before.
    Well, calling the Police is not about getting him arrested for a crime.

It is about making sure he is safe and seeing an appropriate professional.

It might seem extreme but so is smashing things up, drinking whilst revising and mumbling to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    How is he now?

ReputationRep:
    Well you said he has an exam tomorrow (well today...) My opinion is he's super stressed out, and just needed to release all of his anger, granted he shouldn't of broke most of the stuff in his room, and your living room. But is he always like this? If he is I'm sure you can speak to someone to get him moved, because I wouldn't like that happening every week! Maybe you 9 guys should buy him a punching bag? Sounds dumb does it? But I would enjoy having a punching bag.

ReputationRep:
    Call/email pastoral care at uni - they'll be in a better position to get him some help, contact his family or whatever's needed.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like he is in a bit of turmoil, poor guy and poor you .

He should most probably see a counsellor. Once he is 'back to normal' possibly try to encourage him to go and see his doctor otherwise he might have a full breakdown.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.