The Student Room Group

Leave of absence and job seekers

Hey everyone,

I'm on medical leave of absence and recently had to leave my job. I was just wondering whether or not I might qualify for job seekers allowance? I've looked around online, but have just found contradictions. Thanks :smile:
You won't be able to if you're still getting student loans/grants. But if it's a longer leave of absence where you're looking to start again next year, you should be able to.
Reply 2
It may be a matter of debate with staff at your local Job Centre. There's an argument that if you have a health problem which stops you studying, then you wouldn't be capable of working. If you aren't capable of working then you won't be job hunting, so you won't be eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance.

On the other hand, you may not be seriously enough affected to qualify for DLA/PIP. It's one of the holes in the current system. I have a friend with a relapsing/remitting long-term mental health problem, who falls into this trap.

I suggest you make an appointment to talk to someone at your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau. They should be able to give more specific information and it's a free service.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
It may be a matter of debate with staff at your local Job Centre. There's an argument that if you have a health problem which stops you studying, then you wouldn't be capable of working. If you aren't capable of working then you won't be job hunting, so you won't be eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance.

On the other hand, you may not be seriously enough affected to qualify for DLA/PIP. It's one of the holes in the current system. I have a friend with a relapsing/remitting long-term mental health problem, who falls into this trap.

I suggest you make an appointment to talk to someone at your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau. They should be able to give more specific information and it's a free service.

All good advice, just I'd add that DLA/PIP can be claimed irregardless of whether you're a student, in employment, unemployed or other. It's ESA which replaces jobseeker's if you're too ill to work. :smile:

As a side-note, once claiming DLA or PIP, you can then apply for housing benefit and ESA even while studying (if your loan entitlement is less than a specified amount).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending