The Student Room Group

Early lectures

Why are most people complaining about early lectures? When do they start? 9?

9 actually sounds good to me. In my country school starts at 7, and I have to get up at 5 if I want to be there in time.

Scroll to see replies

The earliest my lectures start is 9, and I must admit it's hard to get up before that time sometimes. I think it depends what you're used to, if you're used to getting up earlier than someone else you will find it easier to do so than them.
Reply 2
I think 9ams are fine, if you live with people who obey the 11/12 curfew, don't get fire alarms throughout the night, and live relatively close to your classes.
But if you're kept up til 3am or later by other people's parties, woken throughout the night through their drunken antics, and then have more than a 30 minute journey to your first lecture, I can see why they might not be so attractive.
Personally, I love 9ams this year, even though I have to leave by 7.30 to get to them on time, but then I'm working 6-10am on days where I'm not on campus, so leaving at 7.30 is still a lie-in.
Original post by Katie_p
I think 9ams are fine, if you live with people who obey the 11/12 curfew, don't get fire alarms throughout the night, and live relatively close to your classes.
But if you're kept up til 3am or later by other people's parties, woken throughout the night through their drunken antics, and then have more than a 30 minute journey to your first lecture, I can see why they might not be so attractive.
Personally, I love 9ams this year, even though I have to leave by 7.30 to get to them on time, but then I'm working 6-10am on days where I'm not on campus, so leaving at 7.30 is still a lie-in.

I only have to get up at 8 for a 9am lecture and I still hate it :P goes to show that some people are better with mornings than others. Even though it's weird as I used to have to get up at 6 for school so you would think that 8 would be a blessing :/
People complain because they're lazy. :yes:

I've grown to being up early so would probably choose 9am lectures over evenings as it gets it out of the way. In my first year - it was all about going out :woo: so I had afternoon lectures if possible so my hangover could disappear. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
I only have to get up at 8 for a 9am lecture and I still hate it :P goes to show that some people are better with mornings than others. Even though it's weird as I used to have to get up at 6 for school so you would think that 8 would be a blessing :/

Oh, I'm definitely a morning person anyway. Couldn't do my job otherwise. I get really funny looks when people on my course find out that I was in the library/common room at 8am before a lecture and I don't even live on campus. It's hilarious!
I think because everything at University seems to be shifted to start later (at least at mine - the cafes don't open til 8, the shops til 8 or 9, departments til 8 unless you have a student card, although the library is open at 6), it's much easier to become a night owl, even if you weren't one before. Even if you're not particularly into the night life, it's quite difficult to eat dinner at 6 and go to bed before 11 if everyone else's schedule seems to run 2 hours later.
Reply 6
Original post by Ecro

9 actually sounds good to me. In my country school starts at 7, and I have to get up at 5 if I want to be there in time.

My first lecture was at 8:15am today. They're often at 8:15am. The train was cancelled though so I had to set off at 6:45am to catch a bus and then a different train and then another bus...

Thankfully it seems I generally start at 10:15am on Mondays.
Original post by Katie_p
Oh, I'm definitely a morning person anyway. Couldn't do my job otherwise. I get really funny looks when people on my course find out that I was in the library/common room at 8am before a lecture and I don't even live on campus. It's hilarious!
I think because everything at University seems to be shifted to start later (at least at mine - the cafes don't open til 8, the shops til 8 or 9, departments til 8 unless you have a student card, although the library is open at 6), it's much easier to become a night owl, even if you weren't one before. Even if you're not particularly into the night life, it's quite difficult to eat dinner at 6 and go to bed before 11 if everyone else's schedule seems to run 2 hours later.

Yh, I see what you mean. It's not a bad thing that you can get up earlier, a lot of jobs require you to do so. I'm just dreading the time where I have to start getting up early again when (hopefully) I get a job :/
Original post by Ronove
My first lecture was at 8:15am today. They're often at 8:15am. The train was cancelled though so I had to set off at 6:45am to catch a bus and then a different train and then another bus...

Thankfully it seems I generally start at 10:15am on Mondays.

Stupid trains :frown: they always like to ruin your day :tongue:
Reply 9
Stupid trains :frown: they always like to ruin your day :tongue:

IKR. Thankfully(?!) I went to bed early and woke up at midnight, and then checked the train situation at 5:15am. If I'd just gone to catch my regular train I would definitely have been late by the time I figured out how the hell I was supposed to get into town without the train.
Original post by Ronove
IKR. Thankfully(?!) I went to bed early and woke up at midnight, and then checked the train situation at 5:15am. If I'd just gone to catch my regular train I would definitely have been late by the time I figured out how the hell I was supposed to get into town without the train.

At least it told you the train was cancelled, I've had it before where it would tell you that the train was on time until 5 mimutes or so after the train was meant to leave to say it was delayed
When I was in second and third year I had to get up at 6 to get to my 9ams. To be honest, I complained about it a bit at first, but you do get used to it. It wasn't quite as easy as living 16 feet from the door of my lecture room though, which I did in first year!
Original post by Ecro

This semester my earliest is at 10am. Its annoying that you have to get up early (especially if you have to walk in and don't live on campus) but I don't mind them being before midday because otherwise I get bored waiting around the house. I feel like I cant 'really' get into work because I'd just have to get up and go after an hour so I go to the library and wait for my lecture and do work there.
I dont like early lectures because i have to travel by train to ni and if its early not only do i pay a high fare but hard to find a space also
Reply 14
At least it told you the train was cancelled, I've had it before where it would tell you that the train was on time until 5 mimutes or so after the train was meant to leave to say it was delayed

Thankfully the public transport system seems to be generally a lot better in Denmark than it is in the UK. :tongue: There's a site you go on and put your journey in and it immediately told me my train was cancelled for all the future journeys I looked at and gave me alternative routes. Though it turns out there were replacement buses from a certain point in time, and it said nothing about them - though that's probably because they sent them out after I looked.
Original post by Ronove
Thankfully the public transport system seems to be generally a lot better in Denmark than it is in the UK. :tongue: There's a site you go on and put your journey in and it immediately told me my train was cancelled for all the future journeys I looked at and gave me alternative routes. Though it turns out there were replacement buses from a certain point in time, and it said nothing about them - though that's probably because they sent them out after I looked.

Well that's good. The most annoying thing about trains getting cancelled is when you don't know about it. Sometimes trains can't run and most people get that but why it's so difficult for them to communicate it properly here in the UK sometimes I have no idea, it means it's almost impossible to plan a different route.
Original post by EloiseStar
This semester my earliest is at 10am. Its annoying that you have to get up early (especially if you have to walk in and don't live on campus) but I don't mind them being before midday because otherwise I get bored waiting around the house. I feel like I cant 'really' get into work because I'd just have to get up and go after an hour so I go to the library and wait for my lecture and do work there.

Oh yeah, I really hate late starts like that. My latest this year is 12, which is fine because I can do a shift at work, go home and change, and then head to Uni, eat my lunch somewhere and get to my lecture a few minutes before it starts!
I absolutely hate having something in the afternoon that I can't be late for, because I will not get anything useful done before it.
Reply 17

What changed?
Original post by Ecro
What changed?

I had a whole summer before starting uni where I didn't need to get up and now I never seem to get up before 8, so now I've just got used to getting up later and now it feels impossible to get up earlier. And I'm dreading having to start getting up again as it's been exam time for this week and last and I haven't been getting up till 10/11 :/
Some people have genuine reasons to complain, e.g. those with disabilities or medications that make getting up early very difficult (I used to be on an antidepressant that made me sleep 16 hours a day until my body got used to it). And a few people do for personal or financial reasons have to live far away and commute. But for the most part the people complaining are just lazy buggers who don't want to actually work for their degree. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest