The Student Room Group

Concerned about not being able to make friends!

Reading a thread on TSR earlier about commuting to university as opposed to living there, one of the major drawback to commuting is that it will be a lot harder to make friends.

I will be living at home because I have a part time job here and need to save money for plans of moving out after university. I've lived alone in Asia for 11 months so not really bothered about the independence living away from home will bring. Also I'll be 24 and feel being stuck in a house with a load of energetic 18 year old's would drive me crazy after a while.

My biggest concern is making friends. I'm fairly quiet and introverted. Any tips on making friends? Seems like a ridiculous question! I plan on joining a few societies. I have a huge passion for motorbikes, I ride a GSXR myself and would love to join a society for this but my university doesn't seem to have one. They have a freaking Quidditch for Gods sake!
It will be quite hypocritical for me to say this as I have not made any friends since my start at uni, but joining societies will help; try making a conversation with any person you are sitting next to and ask what they are studying etc. you will have to put extra effort in going to events since you are commuting but I'm sure this wont have a significant impact. I'm extremely introverted and too much of a wimp to follow my own advice lol :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ImNotSuperman
Seems like a ridiculous question! I plan on joining a few societies. I have a huge passion for motorbikes, I ride a GSXR myself and would love to join a society for this but my university doesn't seem to have one. They have a freaking Quidditch for Gods sake!

Most uni students couldn't afford their own motorbike, but maybe you could try starting a related society? Something around motor-based sports? Maybe you could have trips to e.g. speedway, karting, rally events etc. (depending in what's available in your area). Your Student Union may be able to help with costs and most have a minibus that you could use to get you out and about if you can find a qualified driver.
I don't think it would cause you any problems. One thing you could do though is just go up and talk to anyone you see on their own. A lot of people are shy or nervous when they first start university and having someone just come over and saying hi and asking what they're studying can be a really big help.

Quick Reply

Latest