Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How recent reforms have changed the relationship between parliament and government? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing an essay for the 40 mark question "Explain how recent reforms have changed the relationship between parliament and the government."
    So far I have an intro and a plan, my problem is I'm not sure how to develop the points I've thought of...
    These are the points I've written:
    Recent reforms have given parliament more power:
    • introduction of liaison committees - scrutinise govt. by holding them to account 2x/year
    • chairs of select committees chosen by backbenchers in secret ballot - takes away govt. power to choose who is in power - can hold govt. to account more effectively as those in power aren't on the government's side - eg. Arms to Iraq scandal
    • fixed term parliament - govt. can't choose to call an election at a time that will benefit them

Recent reforms have not affected parliament's power/have taken away parliament's power:
    • PMQS changed to 30mins x1/week (instead of 15 mins x2/week) - not much different from what it was before
    • Salisbury Convention - can't veto/delay bills that are in govt. manifesto
    • recall hasn't happened
    • House of Lords reforms unfinished/haven't happened

Can anyone help me think of how to beef up my paragraphs please?
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.