Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I change my mind a lot in relationships Watch

I have a long history of rapidly changing my mind about liking someone. One day I might feel completely infactuated or indeed in love (talking about 5 year relationship, 8 month relationship or a few flings) and then the next day I might wake up feeling quite repulsed at the idea of being close to that person. It's really getting to me, I wish I could just be more consistent.

Well, make your mind up. Once you start getting involved with other people, you can't be changing your mind on them every five minutes as it's not fair on them.

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    Well, make your mind up. Once you start getting involved with other people, you can't be changing your mind on them every five minutes as it's not fair on them.
    I know that's right but it's easier said than done. Sometimes I go to bed with one strong idea and wake up the next morning with another. It is getting to feel unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    Do you change your mind backwards and forwards alot with the same person or is it more of you like them then realise you don't?

If it is the former, it sounds like you have a lot of issues. Maybe talking to a counsellor would help

(Original post by kristen101)
    Do you change your mind backwards and forwards alot with the same person or is it more of you like them then realise you don't?

If it is the former, it sounds like you have a lot of issues. Maybe talking to a counsellor would help
    Yes I do change my mind a lot with the same person. Especially if they are into me. If they lose interest or change their mood a lot it is easier to keep me interested. I know this pattern but it seems impossible to break...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes I do change my mind a lot with the same person. Especially if they are into me. If they lose interest or change their mood a lot it is easier to keep me interested. I know this pattern but it seems impossible to break...
    It sounds like an unhealthy pattern. If it affects you alot i would suggest seeing a counsellor

ReputationRep:
    All the people you've been with are wrong for you. It's quite simple really, if you have even the faintest shadow of a doubt about a potential partner, it means that you don't want them, you shouldn't be with that person. When you find the right person, you'll forever remain certain that you want them and you'll never have any doubt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sort your life out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Icebaker)
    All the people you've been with are wrong for you. It's quite simple really, if you have even the faintest shadow of a doubt about a potential partner, it means that you don't want them, you shouldn't be with that person. When you find the right person, you'll forever remain certain that you want them and you'll never have any doubt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought that too initially but I think now that there is no "right person" or soul mate.
    Every relationship will have its issues, I just have this one thing in the way...

ReputationRep:
    I have a long history of rapidly changing my mind about liking someone. One day I might feel completely infactuated or indeed in love (talking about 5 year relationship, 8 month relationship or a few flings) and then the next day I might wake up feeling quite repulsed at the idea of being close to that person. It's really getting to me, I wish I could just be more consistent.

I'm like that. The key is space. Only hang out with them a few times a week. Works like a charm.

(Original post by catsis)
    I'm like that. The key is space. Only hang out with them a few times a week. Works like a charm.
    Nice to hear from someone who has this too. It's also nice to not feel mad, just different. That's a good strategy though sometimes plans needs to be followed if you commit to someone and I'd like to make my feelings more consistent so as not to disappoint the other person or feel anxious.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to hear from someone who has this too. It's also nice to not feel mad, just different. That's a good strategy though sometimes plans needs to be followed if you commit to someone and I'd like to make my feelings more consistent so as not to disappoint the other person or feel anxious.
    Yeah. I mean I talked it out with my ex. I explained that I liked him but I'm the sort of person that needs their space otherwise I would start to be repulsed by his presence. He didn't like it but he understood that I needed it and so he gave me the space I wanted.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.