Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this might be a long post but please bare with me.

Little history:

I am looking to do a Paramedic course at uni, however before I do that need to get better grades so my plan is as follows.

As i wont be able to apply for uni for about 2 maybe 3 years i plan on spending time going over my maths and science GCSE's which I plan to sit May 2016 this will be done via ICS Learn. After I have completed these I plan to do Science A Level and maybe maths (or access course). Reason I cant go straight to access is due to my results and they recommend I do foundation but cant due to money.

What are peoples thoughts on doing GCSE's and then A Levels?

So what the post is about is what GCSE course books are good to get an idea before I order my ICS kit (which will be after may due to holiday)?

Let me know your thoughts about my plan.

Thanks

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medavidcook)
    Hello, this might be a long post but please bare with me.

Little history:

I am looking to do a Paramedic course at uni, however before I do that need to get better grades so my plan is as follows.

As i wont be able to apply for uni for about 2 maybe 3 years i plan on spending time going over my maths and science GCSE's which I plan to sit May 2016 this will be done via ICS Learn. After I have completed these I plan to do Science A Level and maybe maths (or access course). Reason I cant go straight to access is due to my results and they recommend I do foundation but cant due to money.

What are peoples thoughts on doing GCSE's and then A Levels?

So what the post is about is what GCSE course books are good to get an idea before I order my ICS kit (which will be after may due to holiday)?

Let me know your thoughts about my plan.

Thanks

David
    Hi David nothing wrong with doing GCSEs and a levels.

Order CGP revision guides for maths and science gcse. I would recommend that you don't do A levels through an online provider, You can get support on here. They don't even arrange exam entry for you.

Just contact locals colleges and ask if you can enter as a private candidate. For science you'll need to arrange ISAs as they go towards your final grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApplyYourself)
    Hi David nothing wrong with doing GCSEs and a levels.

Order CGP revision guides for maths and science gcse. I would recommend that you don't do A levels through an online provider, You can get support on here. They don't even arrange exam entry for you.

Just contact locals colleges and ask if you can enter as a private candidate. For science you'll need to arrange ISAs as they go towards your final grade.

Awesome thanks, yeh i was looking CGP books. So you would say do the A levels through a college and use any support from here. I know that when i do my GCSE's via ICS i need to arrange for my own exams and I am fine with that.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Awesome thanks, yeh i was looking CGP books. So you would say do the A levels through a college and use any support from here. I know that when i do my GCSE's via ICS i need to arrange for my own exams and I am fine with that.

thanks
    Yes you can arrange exams yourself, ask for help on here and then not pay ics

A levels through college may be difficult for a mature student (I assume), I would say self study and enter exams privately, for support post questions here and use online resources such as exam solutions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can arrange exams yourself, ask for help on here and then not pay ics

A levels through college may be difficult for a mature student (I assume), I would say self study and enter exams privately, for support post questions here and use online resources such as exam solutions.

Ok but do the CGP books go over everything in a syllabus that ICS covers? Sorry for being dumb

ReputationRep:
    Ok but do the CGP books go over everything in a syllabus that ICS covers? Sorry for being dumb
    Yes for gcse cgp and lots of questions is all you need. Please don't waste your money with ics. The syllabus is covered fully. Do maths with edexcel exam board and science with aqa, more resources such as past papers available.

ReputationRep:
    Yes for gcse cgp and lots of questions is all you need. Please don't waste your money with ics. The syllabus is covered fully. Do maths with edexcel exam board and science with aqa, more resources such as past papers available.
    Ok think i need to find books, the books i have seen only seem to be revision guides which wont cover much i would guess.

if you know of any books please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Ok think i need to find books, the books i have seen only seem to be revision guides which wont cover much i would guess.
    Yeh go on edexcels website, they have an approved book which goes in a little more depth. Cgp and past papers are to help you get up to the A/A* grades.

ReputationRep:
    ok i looked on edexcel and couldnt find any books.

ReputationRep:
    What would your thought be on this,

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...49789#contents

this is what i found for science

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...science-a-4405

ReputationRep:
    Are the A level books separate i.e 1 book for biology and 1 for physics and 1 for chem?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.