- Applied for job through recruiter
- Recruiter sent my CV to company, put salary requirement as £22k (starting salary for role is usually £19k-£24k, £22k is market average)
- Company scheduled interview 2 days later
- Hiring manager gave positive feedback to recruiter and I was back for final round interview 3 days later. Told they're looking for candidate to start asap
- Again, hiring manager gave recruiter positive feedback and said offer very likely but senior member who was part of final interview panel is ill, so waiting to make decision (this is true, I saw she had a bad cold in my interview)
- Now waiting for likely job offer. It's been 4 days since interview. Like company but prefer salary of £24k-£25k.
- Since company A is keen on me and looking to start role asap, I told recruiter I have a final interview with another company B this week & they pay £25k. This is half true - had 1st interview last week, positive feedback on phone afterwards but waiting to be formally invited to final interview. But still, £3k higher is a big difference!
- Recruiter became nervous & told me company A salary is non-negotiable & all other candidates are positioned for the same figure. She told me I wouldn't be able to wait until the end of the week to make a decision if they give me an offer. This seems like BS: if there really are 'all those other' candidates, why would I be given less than 48 hours to make a career decision. But I saw that a different recruitment company stated salary for same Company A position is £24k-£26k and confirmed with me that this is the budget Company A happily gave them.
- DID THE RECRUITER LIE ABOUT £22K, TRYING TO LOWBALL ME AND MAKE HER COMMISSION QUICKLY?
- SHOULD I TELL THE RECRUITER THAT I KNOW ABOUT THE HIGHER SALARY STATED BY THE OTHER RECRUITER?
- IF I GET THE OFFER I HAVE EVEN MORE LEVERAGE TO NEGOTIATE A HIGHER SALARY BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE, RIGHT?
- HOW DO I ENSURE I GET £25K?
Would you pay less for a humanities degree?