Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview-savvy people & HR pros, your advice on a tricky job offer/salary situation! watch

ReputationRep:
    - Applied for job through recruiter

- Recruiter sent my CV to company, put salary requirement as £22k (starting salary for role is usually £19k-£24k, £22k is market average)

- Company scheduled interview 2 days later

- Hiring manager gave positive feedback to recruiter and I was back for final round interview 3 days later. Told they're looking for candidate to start asap

- Again, hiring manager gave recruiter positive feedback and said offer very likely but senior member who was part of final interview panel is ill, so waiting to make decision (this is true, I saw she had a bad cold in my interview)

- Now waiting for likely job offer. It's been 4 days since interview. Like company but prefer salary of £24k-£25k.

- Since company A is keen on me and looking to start role asap, I told recruiter I have a final interview with another company B this week & they pay £25k. This is half true - had 1st interview last week, positive feedback on phone afterwards but waiting to be formally invited to final interview. But still, £3k higher is a big difference!

- Recruiter became nervous & told me company A salary is non-negotiable & all other candidates are positioned for the same figure. She told me I wouldn't be able to wait until the end of the week to make a decision if they give me an offer. This seems like BS: if there really are 'all those other' candidates, why would I be given less than 48 hours to make a career decision. But I saw that a different recruitment company stated salary for same Company A position is £24k-£26k and confirmed with me that this is the budget Company A happily gave them.

So...

• DID THE RECRUITER LIE ABOUT £22K, TRYING TO LOWBALL ME AND MAKE HER COMMISSION QUICKLY?
    • SHOULD I TELL THE RECRUITER THAT I KNOW ABOUT THE HIGHER SALARY STATED BY THE OTHER RECRUITER?
    • IF I GET THE OFFER I HAVE EVEN MORE LEVERAGE TO NEGOTIATE A HIGHER SALARY BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE, RIGHT?
    • HOW DO I ENSURE I GET £25K?

Thanks, everyone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.