Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I made Criminology and Sociology at UWE my firm choice - I just have to get BBC in my A-levels I already know plenty of people in Bristol, as a lot of friends from my hometown have moved there, and got offered a place in a house with a few people I know who will be going into their third year at UWE.
    I'd have to put the deposit down this week. It's a cool house (salmon-coloured stucco, hahaha!) in Stokes Croft, waaaaay cheaper than halls. I'm just wondering, is it really stupid for a first year to move straight into private renting? Will I make friends on my course?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid?
    TBH, accommodation is all down to what you can afford. So, apply for your loan and you'll know exactly how much you have to work with. So, there isn't a simple answer for this.

Hell, I moved into a £172 a week private hall because I applied in AUGUST because my maths grade screwed me over (screw you Edexcel maths papers from hell!) and had to go through clearing. It also depends how sociable you are.
    Try and make friends ASAP by jumping in the deep end and going to a whole manor of events at Freshers, this will give you some firm ground to stand on in terms of finding a place with some good mates in your second year. =)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, halls are craaaazy expensive! This house is £100 a week which means my loan will just about cover it. What are fresher's events like? I've heard they're pretty dire haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrbaxter333)
    Yeah, halls are craaaazy expensive! This house is £100 a week which means my loan will just about cover it. What are fresher's events like? I've heard they're pretty dire haha!
    Half the fun is finding out yourself.
    Hell, I might even see you when you turn up next year. I will be in my second year. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Haha fair enough, what course are you doing there? I'm looking forward to hitting up Black Swan and Lakota club I've only been to Bristol once for the carnival but it seems wicked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrbaxter333)
    Haha fair enough, what course are you doing there? I'm looking forward to hitting up Black Swan and Lakota club I've only been to Bristol once for the carnival but it seems wicked!
    Biomedical Science.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Criminology atm at UWE and absolutely hate it. Not what I expected at all. Just some advice you might enjoy it more than me!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.