Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What rights should we be born with? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What rights do you believe should protect us the minute we are born? Please don't narrow your response to rights that will only protect you as a baby, feel free to create rights that are for life

So for example:

* We should be born with the right not to have our genitals mutliated because it's what the parents want (unless it's recommended by medical experts).

ReputationRep:
    the right to
    -food
    -water
    -shelter
    -body autonomy at birth (unless several medical experts agree consent isn't needed)
    -education (at least up to a certain point)
    -justice, in the event of a crime
    -not to be discriminated against for things out of one's control, such as race, sexuality and gender
    -freedom from abuse, slavery and mistreatment etc.

just off the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    Food, clothing, water, shelter, exchange, freedom from unrestrained aribtrary use of force

A good state in my view has to have a balance between authority and liberty. The traditional view is that states remove liberty in exchange for security; I think this is misguided however, one actually has more liberty in some states. All of them for example provide protection in exchange for taxation. A good state will favour the liberties of its subjects, while intervening only to promote those values useful to citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    protection from violence covers most of what I consider rights

ReputationRep:
    Freedom from indoctrination/ pressure from parents/society to follow a certain religion

ReputationRep:
    None. Muhahahahahahhahahha

ReputationRep:
    Rights are dependent upon citizenship granted by the government. So nobody should have rights.

Rather subjects within the British nation state should have the freedom to life from conception and the freedom to keep, own and trade property. These freedoms the government must enforce and protect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trasitszy)
    Freedom from indoctrination/ pressure from parents/society to follow a certain religion
    Puritan Scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    Food, clothing, water, shelter, exchange, freedom from unrestrained aribtrary use of force

A good state in my view has to have a balance between authority and liberty. The traditional view is that states remove liberty in exchange for security; I think this is misguided however, one actually has more liberty in some states. All of them for example provide protection in exchange for taxation. A good state will favour the liberties of its subjects, while intervening only to promote those values useful to citizenship.
    You do what everybody else does and say the state when you mean the government. A nation state is made up of many different institutions which are meant to constrain each other creating freedom or liberty for subjects within it. However that freedom is dependent upon the nation state, not one institution within the nation state which grants citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    You do what everybody else does and say the state when you mean the government. A nation state is made up of many different institutions which are meant to constrain each other creating freedom or liberty for subjects within it. However that freedom is dependent upon the nation state, not one institution within the nation state which grants citizenship.
    Is there a point here or is just pedantry?? Of course a society is a collection of institutions.

ReputationRep:
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    Is there a point here or is just pedantry?? Of course a society is a collection of institutions.
    Pedantry is a point in itself is it not?

No a society is a group of people who live in a defined geographical area.

A nation state is a culture which creates a state. The institutions being founded within the culture and then join together to protect their power. So in Britain we have the Church of England, Aristocracy and Monarchy. Along with the House of Commons, government and Media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    How?
    Different institutions have different interests and power they want to protect.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech and to relinquish a religion

ReputationRep:
    Actually none, I think we should set physical and mental tests from.a young age and anyone who fails one should be sentenced to death

ReputationRep:
    Like an above poster said, you can't be born with rights and there are no such thing as natural rights. The rights one is entitled to depends on where they reside and the values of the respective government or constitution.

Though if there was some medium for universal recognition and practise of rights to be born with, id say the right to freedom in all senses within the constraints of the law ofcourse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Puritan Scum.
    The 1660s called. They were like, "Wherefore this demonic instrument? By what sorcery doth it produce such sounds?"

I'm pretty sure they were trying to call to tell you that your views are hilariously outdated.

ReputationRep:
    Aside basic human rights, I believe every individual should have the right to choose what they do to their own body (euthanasia, whether you want to take drugs, even suicide).That does extend to things like genital mutilation as well, I think you're an awful person if you do that to your child end of. Regardless of gender.I probably wouldn't allow a child the right to euthanasia and all that, but once they're 16 or 18 then yeah sure

tl;dr - right to do what you want with your own life that doesn't have a direct impact on others (so not murder for example)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    Actually none, I think we should set physical and mental tests from.a young age and anyone who fails one should be sentenced to death
    Us Spartans abide by a similar practice, offspring without abs and a beard are sentenced to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    The 1660s called. They were like, "Wherefore this demonic instrument? By what sorcery doth it produce such sounds?"

I'm pretty sure they were trying to call to tell you that your views are hilariously outdated.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHl4kkhfWW0

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.