Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why doesnt the government replace all the workers if they strike? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know in some countries, if the labourers go on a strike, the government will just replace all of them with foreign workers.

But i never see this happen in Uk and as a result , tube strike happens every year.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you find trained up tube drivers?

ReputationRep:
    That's possible with unskilled labourers but aside from that, finding an entirely new qualified work force and paying them their wage plus bringing them over would be impractical at best.

Plus, if your first workforce went on strike, why would the second one not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    I know in some countries, if the labourers go on a strike, the government will just replace all of them with foreign workers.

But i never see this happen in Uk and as a result , tube strike happens every year.
    Politically unpopular plus our population size means a larger public sector workforce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    That's possible with unskilled labourers but aside from that, finding an entirely new qualified work force and paying them their wage plus bringing them over would be impractical at best.

Plus, if your first workforce went on strike, why would the second one not?
    Your average Pole is probably happy to be here on a decent wage, less likely to join a union.

ReputationRep:
    What countries does OP think we could use as examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    What countries does OP think we could use as examples?
    Perhaps we could get immigrants to pull the trains along?

It'd be slow but it could work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that'd be really popular with the UKIPers....

Also, despite it having been watered down, in this country we fought for and won the right to strike.

ReputationRep:

That, my friend would be illegal.

The government would lose a ****ton of money in payouts through unfair dismissal claims.

The right to strike is (thank God!) written into the labour laws in this country.

ReputationRep:
    So, what you want is a country where the employees are scared of voicing their opinion and demanding better working hours, pay etc... or just to keep what they have? ie scrap human rights? Is that what you really want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Impractical and probably more effort and expense than simply listening to what the union has to say. That's sort of the point of a strike.

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% sure how it works, but I don't think you're legally allowed to fire someone for striking, as long as they accept that they lose pay for that day.

Basically, there's nothing they can do

ReputationRep:

Britain's post-1970s economy disempowers labour, with all the morally and socially retrograde implications of that, more than enough without politically institutionalising scabs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.