Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you manage shared bills in your house share? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How do you guys manage bills in your house share?

What tools do you use?

Have you ever found it frustrating splitting the bills or having to chase other people for money owed?

ReputationRep:
    I have a house share with bills included so I don't know of any systems which are good to use, however I do know sometimes people can be a complete nightmare to chase for bills (I'm in charge of rent for the house, and I have one particular house mate who never pays me on time). So if possible try to make sure you only move in with decent and reliable people, it'll really save you a headache.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sophie,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been in that exact situation, my house share is great though although it's still a fair bit of management for one individual!

How do you make sure you move in with decent people though? I mean I'm assuming the person you have an issue with currently, you had met before moving in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Hi Sophie,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been in that exact situation, my house share is great though although it's still a fair bit of management for one individual!

How do you make sure you move in with decent people though? I mean I'm assuming the person you have an issue with currently, you had met before moving in?
    Yeah I did know everyone prior to moving in with them, all friends. The one person who is nightmare with paying rent just so happens to be the one person I was worried would be a pain with rent. To try not to end up in that situation just try to take note if people are responsible, like do they complain about having no money but then buy a dominoes pizza? or do they constantly ask to lend money? Those kind of people. It's pretty easy to spot if you look for it. If you don't get to decide who you move in with or you're wary refuse to be the one in charge of the bill paying, people will then suddenly listen to your reasons.

ReputationRep:
    The way we do it, is that each person is in charge of one thing.

I'm in charge of electricity and gas, one housemate is in charge of internet and one is in charge of water. Because water only needs to be paid once every 6 months, we just gave her the money that we owed her, so that was easy.

Then, the person in charge of the internet gives me what he owes me, but takes money away from that since I owe him £6ish for the internet, so he only has to pay me £30 instead of £36 and the other flatmate just gives me her share.
    It seems a bit complicated when typed out, but it's made things really simple.

Last year we had a joint account, but that made it a bit more difficult since it ended up being that one person was unofficially charge of checking what was coming in and out of the account, and what was coming in and out and who'd put what in and why became kind of confusing. And then when it came to us parting ways, we haven't spoken to each other since so that account is just sitting there since we'd ALL need to sign off on it to close it.

Having one person in charge of everything isn't a good plan since then one person will have to chase everything up, do all the maths and it's not really fair if something goes wrong and they get the blame. If you each have one thing to be in charge of, it will be a lot more simple.

ReputationRep:
    So out of interest, have neither of you looked at using Bill splitting apps? Any experiences there?

ReputationRep:
    So out of interest, have neither of you looked at using Bill splitting apps? Any experiences there?
    I've looked into it, and it doesn't really seem like a good idea.
    The most important thing is that they're slightly more expensive. Obviously they have to make a profit, so they'll take extra money on top of the money you need for your utilities. Also, it's better to do it yourself, since then you can look around at utility companies and find the best deals for you. At the time I'd also heard some really bad things about them, I think it may have been from TSR?
    And it's just good for experience. You'll need to be in charge of paying your own bills someday, so why not start now?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How do you guys manage bills in your house share?

What tools do you use?

Have you ever found it frustrating splitting the bills or having to chase other people for money owed?

We don't - grumble grumble - my housemates are awful at paying their fair share.

Typically one of us is responsible for each thing such as gas, electric, water and internet. For us internet and water is a set price but gas and electric vary and are on a top up meter.

Tools? A calculator if absolutely necessary but nothing.

Yes, I am constantly chasing people for money. Thanks for posting this, its actually reminded me that people owe me some right now! I'm in charge of a set bill (internet) so thankfully I don't have to calculate certain amounts. Thats the only issue with splitting bills really because you don't want to keep asking for money.

ReputationRep:
    Great, some really good responses here.

Something you may all want to try out when it launches later this year then is Bill Hut . com

Bill Hut creates a platform for users living in shared households to create a 'Hut', synchronise all your bills to it (these are automatically updated) which are then automatically split among however many people you invite to share the bill with and then you can pay each other within the app through PayPal.

To add to this we compare the market in the background and bring the results to your Hut, so you can see each month what the best deals are incase your thinking about changing energy tariffs..

How does that sound? I think it solves all the issues you guys have detailed!?

ReputationRep:
    Great, some really good responses here.

Something you may all want to try out when it launches later this year then is Bill Hut . com

Bill Hut creates a platform for users living in shared households to create a 'Hut', synchronise all your bills to it (these are automatically updated) which are then automatically split among however many people you invite to share the bill with and then you can pay each other within the app through PayPal.

To add to this we compare the market in the background and bring the results to your Hut, so you can see each month what the best deals are incase your thinking about changing energy tariffs..

How does that sound? I think it solves all the issues you guys have detailed!?
    do you charge extra though? and what happens to those who are slow to pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    do you charge extra though? and what happens to those who are slow to pay?
    Nope, completely free to use!

Ultimately we couldn't force anyone to pay as much as that would be a great thing! However what we plan to do currently is implement a scoring system that is based on how promptly a payment is made. This will Highlight within the house any problems with housemates that are slow to pay on time... but lets hope that the automatic reminders for housemates to pay their share of the bill work first!

Any thoughts on that process specifically the scoring system?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.