The Student Room Group

How do I deal with PATRONIZING, CONDESCENDING individuals? (Post #2)

I have this Individual in school that keeps patronizing me. Telling me that I would not get excellent GCSE results, acting as if he is more superior than me, thinking he is the best. I have already addressed this issue with him; and it continues on. How do I deal with people like this?
Hi, taylortron99,

I'm sorry to hear that one of your peers isn't treating you very nicely: I understand that it can be really quite annoying and degrading, and as someone who often finds themselves getting top grades, it's always a struggle for me as well to try and "keep it in", so as to speak.

I'd really advise you to try your best not to let it get to you, and to ignore this individual wherever possible: keep your sanity and remember that wisdom and intelligence means nothing if you can't express it in a manner which isn't arrogant and which isn't beneficial to everyone, and not just yourself.

I wonder how you dealt with him in the past? Was there any effectiveness at all in what you did to try to deal with the situation?

Best of wishes,

britishpatriot.
'The best revenge is massive success'
Original post by taylortron99
I have this Individual in school that keeps patronizing me. Telling me that I would not get excellent GCSE results, acting as if he is more superior than me, thinking he is the best. I have already addressed this issue with him; and it continues on. How do I deal with people like this?

Unfortunately, people like this are all over the place. All you can do is ignore it and outshow them. I had someone like that, but then he started to do badly and became more modest :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by britishpatriot
Hi, taylortron99,

I'm sorry to hear that one of your peers isn't treating you very nicely: I understand that it can be really quite annoying and degrading, and as someone who often finds themselves getting top grades, it's always a struggle for me as well to try and "keep it in", so as to speak.

I'd really advise you to try your best not to let it get to you, and to ignore this individual wherever possible: keep your sanity and remember that wisdom and intelligence means nothing if you can't express it in a manner which isn't arrogant and which isn't beneficial to everyone, and not just yourself.

I wonder how you dealt with him in the past? Was there any effectiveness at all in what you did to try to deal with the situation?

Best of wishes,

britishpatriot.

Thanks for the advice. I told him that his behaviour was patronizing and he stopped for a little while however he continued later on. So therefore; it proved fairly ineffective.
Original post by taylortron99
Thanks for the advice. I told him that his behaviour was patronizing and he stopped for a little while however he continued later on. So therefore; it proved fairly ineffective.

Hmmph, I see. My best advice, then, would be to continue to avoid him wherever possible, and to try to politely but quite firmly point out that he is being patronising and arrogant whenever you feel as if you're not being treated appropriately. If things worsen or persist, it might be worth considering highlighting the problem to other people that may be able to help you deal with it.

Remember to be polite yourself, though, and I'd encourage you to avoid engaging in verbal battles with him: they would only give him further reason to want to provoke you and patronise you in such a manner.

Take care,

britishpatriot.

Quick Reply

Latest