Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should parents who refuse to vaccinate their children be prosecuted? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    An interesting article about the recent measles outbreak in the states.

Are you vaccinated?
    Would you vaccinate your children?
    Do you think 'anti-vaxxers' should face the law?

EDIT: 'prosecuted' not 'persecuted'. Long day. I'm even having doubts that's the right word now.

ReputationRep:
    Not really what if they have religious beliefs like they contain have certain chemicals and stuff so yeah no.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    Not really what if they have religious beliefs like they contain have certain chemicals and stuff so yeah no.
    What if a child dies from measles as a result of not being vaccinated?

Is that negligence?

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    But they're still choosing to put other children (and their own) at risk to a disease. I don't think having a 'religious belief' excuses them in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    But they're still choosing to put other children (and their own) at risk to a disease. I don't think having a 'religious belief' excuses them in this situation.
    I don't they'll mind its like pork situation with Muslims what if their religion forbids this product even if it means death. Many religions view some products as unclean and unholy furthermore religion is spiritual so if they die from not taking this vaccine well they believe they'll have a happy afterlife.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not as extreme as prosecuted but yes, I think they should impose some sort of punishment for parents who do not vaccinate their children (unless of course they have a good reason behind it such as potential allergies). Long gone are the days where we have MMR scare stories and the like so really I don't get why you wouldn't vaccinate your child. Not only are you putting your child in danger but also younger babies who haven't yet reached vaccine milestones. Selfish decision all round really, its like the parents who have chicken-pox parties...

(Edit: please nobody shout at me because I'm sure my opinions are probably a bit naive I'm the type of person who gets cross at Jehovah's Witnesses and the blood transfusion situation)

ReputationRep:
    I don't they'll mind its like pork situation with Muslims what if their religion forbids this product even if it means death. Many religions view some products as unclean and unholy furthermore religion is spiritual so if they die from not taking this vaccine well they believe they'll have a happy afterlife.
    But what if it results in other deaths of other people's children? Those parents won't necessarily believe the same. Nevertheless, what the parents believe is unimportant. The welfare of a child is very different to somebody's personal dietary choices. Irrational religious beliefs are not a valid excuse for forcing a child into the risk of an untimely death.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mamamia.com.au/news/anti-...cate-takedown/

They contain no blood (Jehovas are safe) and no parts or byproducts of animals are used (vegans are safe) so... what's the big deal? Put all that to one side, and I think that we can all agree that favouring prayer over medical treatment when you're on your deathbed is totally idiotic thing to do, usually valued by people who simply cannot wait to shake the big mans' hand.
    What's even more idiotic than that is maintaining an anti-vax attitude because your health advisor told you it's all mumbo jumbo, and smallpox is nothing that some green tea with camomile can't fix. Not only are you dangering your own child, but also increasing the likelihood of other children around your child getting a fatal disease. Way to go, anti-vaxxers!

Yeah, lock them up with the rest of the lunatics. Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs but choosing to put your child at a potentially fatal risk because of your own ignorance is nothing short of child abuse.

ReputationRep:
    But what if it results in other deaths of other people's children? Those parents won't necessarily believe the same. Nevertheless, what the parents believe is unimportant. The welfare of a child is very different to somebody's personal dietary choices. Irrational religious beliefs are not a valid excuse for forcing a child into the risk of an untimely death.
    Some people take religion very seriously. If they didn't Muslims would eat pork wouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    Some people take religion very seriously. If they didn't Muslims would eat pork wouldn't they?
    I don't care if they take their religion seriously. That doesn't make the death of children from curable diseases okay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if they take their religion seriously. That doesn't make the death of children from curable diseases okay.
    In their eyes its ok, but maybe for you its not okay. You've kinda got to respect that too.

ReputationRep:
    In their eyes its ok, but maybe for you its not okay. You've kinda got to respect that too.
    "I'm going to put my child and all yours at unnecessary risk, and I believe that's okay, so you have to respect that."

Not gonna fly.

ReputationRep:
    "I'm going to put my child and all yours at unnecessary risk, and I believe that's okay, so you have to respect that."

Not gonna fly.
    That doesn't make sense why "and all yours"

ReputationRep:
    Prosecution is a bit extreme, but anti-vaxxers who refuse to vaccinate their children do need to be clamped down on.

There is no justification for refusing to vaccinate your children, and if there are too many unvaccinated people then it can put others at risk from those diseases. Like the small % of people who don't get vaccinated because of medical reasons, those people depend on herd immunity.

I don't give a damn about what their religion says about vaccines or what the parents opinion on vaccines is (not always linked to religion). Stupidity is not a right when said stupidity puts other people at risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Prosecution is a bit extreme, but anti-vaxxers who refuse to vaccinate their children do need to be clamped down on.

There is no justification for refusing to vaccinate your children, and if there are too many unvaccinated people then it can put others at risk from those diseases. Like the small % of people who don't get vaccinated because of medical reasons, those people depend on herd immunity.

I don't give a damn about what their religion says about vaccines or what the parents opinion on vaccines is (not always linked to religion). Stupidity is not a right when said stupidity puts other people at risk.
    Lets put it this way it should be compulsolry for kids to take vaccines no matter what . But adults can refuse

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make sense why "and all yours"
    Not vaccinating your child puts other children at risk too (particularly small infants that haven't been vaccinated yet). The recent measles outbreak at Disneyland is a good example of that.

ReputationRep:
    People who don't vaccinate their children should not be allowed to let them out the house.

Or schools , Disneyland etc could only allow in vaccinated children and kids who can't be vaccinated for health reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethaaaaany)
    Long gone are the days where we have MMR scare stories and the like so really I don't get why you wouldn't vaccinate your child. Not only are you putting your child in danger but also younger babies who haven't yet reached vaccine milestones. Selfish decision all round really, its like the parents who have chicken-pox parties...

(Edit: please nobody shout at me because I'm sure my opinions are probably a bit naive I'm the type of person who gets cross at Jehovah's Witnesses and the blood transfusion situation)
    Hey, Bethaaaaany, I'm going to shout at you for that.

(a) MMR scare stories being bunkum.

(b) Selfishness.

(c) JW's and blood transfusions.

Ready?

:stomp: I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT AND ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU, BETHAAAAANY!!!!!11!!!1!!! :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    Given that vaccines are modern and therefore unfeatured in religious texts, plus the fact they don't contain bacon, cows or other substances subject to religious edicts... I think the religious beliefs thing is kind of rubbish.

What religion says "thou shalt not vaccinate?"
    "Thou shalt let the children die of plagues or risk my holy wrath?"

Slightly facetious but to my knowledge the 'religious beliefs' thing is entirely invented. The only religion even remotely along these lines would be the Jehovah's Witnesses and even they take medication. Vaccines are much more akin to medication than they are to blood transfusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    The only religion even remotely along these lines would be the Jehovah's Witnesses and even they take medication.
    That's not fair on real religions. JWism is a fairly recently made-up organisation and their blood transfusion aversion was only conceived about 60 years ago. Still, don't be sad. Their children dying unnecessarily is just natural selection in action.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.