Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to come of as thinking I'm better than anyone else or be seeming to be hating on other people but where is the difficulty in some courses at university etc. Like if someone takes maths, engineering, physics, computer science etc then I think they have to put in effort or be really smart to do well and people that go further and develop new ideas that shape our world. But then you have people doing these subjects and doing phd's that just sound made up which just seem to be far too easy and of no help to anyone or anything.

I'm finding it hard to put across what I'm saying but maybe someone else could phrase it better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Further Maths, Physics and Drama/Theatre Studies as my three A-levels and I can wholeheartedly state that the latter of those is by far the most challenging for me.

These 'soft' subjects are slammed for being 'easy' as opposed to STEM subjects, but it's completely subjective. You can find solving equations easy but writing creative essays difficult, or vice versa. No subject is fundamentally 'easier' than any others.

ReputationRep:
    Very few degrees are easy. I'm doing a degree in Philosophy and Theology, and you'd probably think it an easy, useless degree. It's actually ridiculously complicated, and very difficult to adequately understand (regardless of whether you disagree with different aspects of it).

Different degrees of course have different levels of utility with regards to the 'real world', but that's only one way of judging a field of study. Many people do degrees because they enjoy learning about different areas of life, and the acquisition of knowledge is its own reward.

ReputationRep:
    What degrees are you actually referring to?

ReputationRep:
    I did an archaeology based degree and there were quite a few people who were on it because they'd watched Time Team and thought it would be a bit of a doss. Their faces were a picture in the lectures about Post-Processualism, phenomenology, Instrumentalism and Cartesian Dualism. We only did five weeks of actual excavation in three years - and most of that was after the end of the third term during the summer holidays. A number of my colleagues weren't happy.

Some subjects look a walk in the park from the outside, but turn out to be a wee bit more involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'insegnante)
    What degrees are you actually referring to?
    stuff like politics, sociology, art (bunch of hipsters sipping on starbucks with ridiculous facial hairs), english (anyone can make up stuff about what someone wrote like poems and stuff). I'm not saying these are easy in terms of time or anything just they are not difficult like physics is fundamentally different and way more difficult say.

Anyone can learn to write an essay but to do complicated engineering problems and maths or stuff of that nature is something not everyone can do imo.

probably get hate for saying this so try and change my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorform)
    Anyone can learn to write an essay but to do complicated engineering problems and maths or stuff of that nature is something not everyone can do imo.
    So, science students can learn to do art, but not the other way around?

Or are you implying that STEM students are somehow inherently possessive of the knowledge, which is something that laymen can never learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjgriffiths)
    So, science students can learn to do art, but not the other way around?

Or are you implying that STEM students are somehow inherently possessive of the knowledge, which is something that laymen can never learn.
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    stuff like politics, sociology, art (bunch of hipsters sipping on starbucks with ridiculous facial hairs), english (anyone can make up stuff about what someone wrote like poems and stuff). I'm not saying these are easy in terms of time or anything just they are not difficult like physics is fundamentally different and way more difficult say.

I don't really think you have much grasp of what some courses are like at university level as you have given some very stereotypical justifications for you points, which undermine your argument in my opinion.

I think with any subject, you can either do it or you can't (this is assuming you put maximum effort into it). There are some people who simply cannot write essays: some can't think creatively or abstractly or structure logical arguments in written form.
    Similarly, there are some people who do not understand science, no matter how much they try, while there are others who find it piss easy.
    The reality is that this is a very subjective matter, and most people assume that the sciences are harder because maybe the majority are perceived to struggle with them more. But it would be incorrect to say that it is a fact.

Also, any subject requires learning and effort. Unless you want to tell me you can just "make up stuff" for most of these questions (http://www.all-souls.ox.ac.uk/userfi...rs/English.pdf) without any prior learning.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Moved to Educational Debate

ReputationRep:

Politics produces politicians.
    Art takes a lot of technique not to mention talent. Not everyone has it in them to take on art GCSE and no good never mind at degree level. Furthermore, art produces art teachers, designers that design patterns etc for a whole pile of different things.

If you think anyone can write an essay on an English topic and get a good mark you need to think again. There's people who simply can't write essays; can't structure them, have poor grammar etc. Its not about 'making up stuff' its about analysing a text (context, methods, language, themes etc) and formulating an answer that covers all of it, answers a question, its structures appropriately, is analytical, includes literary criticism etc.

You ruined your argument by saying how they are fundamentally different. They can't be compared in terms of difficulty because they require extremely different skill sets. Not everyone can do high level maths. Not everyone can write a solid essay. Not everyone can draw and paint to a high standard.

This is just a typical ignorant 'my subjects are better than yours' TSR thread

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.