Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Giving Blood and becoming a Donor? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have you or anyone else in your life given blood to someone? Last week ACLT-a charity visited by school and really inspired me to put my name down for blood donation.

The ACLT (African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust) is a leading Cancer charity dedicated to raising the awareness of the shortage of Black and Ethnic Minority donors on the UK Bone Marrow, Blood and Organ registers and recruits potential donors to come forward at ACLT registration drives (via saliva or blood) and be involved in the process of offering hope and a healthy future to someone whose disorder may otherwise prove fatal.

http://www.aclt.org/ really recommend you check them out regardless of your race and atleast consider it.Hoping to post my registration stuff this week or next week.

ReputationRep:
    Yea given blood twice now,

The first time i was fairly nervous and didnt think about much else other than the needle in my arm :/ made it worse as someone before me had feinted so (although just eat biscuits and stuff when they give it to you and its unlikely)

the second time i was WAY more relaxed, had my phone out and was playing random games / on facebook the whole time !

its actually not that bad jn all tbh, it just feels like when they do a blood test just that the needle stays in for however much longer. I was nervous for no reason tbh!

good luck(:

ReputationRep:
    I held off doing it for ages because of the look of that giant needle they stick in you, but it's not bad at all. Pretty painless and dead easy. I think I've done it about 5 times, although not for over a year now, I really should go again.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to be able to do it, but couldn't really handle the needle.

I'm on the organ donor list though.

ReputationRep:
    I did it it was more embarrassing than anything else - they couldn't find a vein that was deep enough, so had to try both arms... and then get someone else to come and try.... took about 15 minutes to pick a vein! It did work eventually though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was meant to give blood last year but had a kidney infection at the time so will do it this year. I am an organ donor. My papa is awaiting a transplant match for a new kidney, liver and pancreas due to complications of diabetes and his old kidney cancer. I was a registered organ donor before he was put on the list but if I wasn't, that would have made me sign up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to give blood, then certain homophobic rules made me inapplicable. I have a donor card though.

ReputationRep:
    thats cool guys! ive signed up for blood donation but ive not got a reply back so im sure ill get a reply soon

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.