The Student Room Group

Are these subjects good choices for a French degree at Oxford?

In a few years I'm hoping to apply to Oxford University to study either French, French and Linguistics, or French and Spanish.

in my original sixth form application I put French, Spanish, History and Politics, but I then realised that I would find it utterly tedious to study history. I have a sixth form interview next week and now I'm hoping to study:

French, Spanish, Government and Politics and Psychology.

are these choices okay?
Reply 1
from ox.ac.uk

For Modern Languages:

A-levels: AAA

Advanced Highers: AA/AAB

IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL

or any other equivalent (see details of international qualifications)

There are several combinations available that allow students to begin studying a language from scratch. However, please note that it is not usually possible for students to study two languages from scratch. Candidates would be expected to have studied at least one of the languages chosen, or to speak at least one of the languages at home or school.

For French or Spanish

Candidates would usually be expected to have the language to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another academic equivalent.

For Modern Language and Linguistics:

No experience of studying Linguistics is required, though knowledge of the relevant modern language may be expected, as detailed below. English Language, Mathematics, a science or any other language may be useful for some elements of the course, although they are not required for admission.

For Czech, French, German, Modern Greek, Russian and Spanish

Candidates would usually be expected to have the language to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another academic equivalent.

:google:
Remember - you get FIVE choices on your UCAS application.

Therefore you need to be looking at many more Universities than just Oxford.
Moving to the Oxford section :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending