Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it advisable? Also my school now has a new 3 A level policy, so I would be doing History, Ancient History and Geography
    Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Pointless.

It will be regarded as effectively one subject - even for applying for History at Uni.

Pick one History -and do something like Politics/Sociology or Classics/English alongside it.
    This would give you a solid base for applying for any Arts/Humanities/Social Science course at Uni

Advice on applying for History at Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    Pointless.

It will be regarded as effectively one subject - even for applying for History at Uni.

Pick one History -and do something like Politics/Sociology or Classics/English alongside it.
    This would give you a solid base for applying for any Arts/Humanities/Social Science course at Uni

Advice on applying for History at Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree
    Thanks! Tbh I was only half-considering it but this has definitely put me off . The other subjects I was considering alongside History/ Geography were Politics, Economics, English lit or Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1209ll)
    Thanks! Tbh I was only half-considering it but this has definitely put me off . The other subjects I was considering alongside History/ Geography were Politics, Economics, English lit and Physics
    You only need 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects.

No UK Uni asks for more than this - and AAA is way better than BBBBC because you took on too much and couldnt do any of the subjects properly.

You need to think about subjects you might study at Uni and have a look at the admissions requirements for courses at a variety of different Unis (they will all ask for different grades/subjects) - this will help you decide sensible subjects. Another useful article : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects

ReputationRep:
    You only need 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects.

No UK Uni asks for more than this - and AAA is way better than BBBBC because you took on too much and couldnt do any of the subjects properly.

You need to think about subjects you might study at Uni and have a look at the admissions requirements for courses at a variety of different Unis (they will all ask for different grades/subjects) - this will help you decide sensible subjects. Another useful article : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects
    Noooo what I meant was I was considering those subjects, so I would do one of those 4, not all of them sorry, I should have worded it better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1209ll)
    Thanks! Tbh I was only half-considering it but this has definitely put me off . The other subjects I was considering alongside History/ Geography were Politics, Economics, English lit and Physics
    History Geography and economics would be quite good

Maths with that would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    History Geography and economics would be quite good

Maths with that would be great
    They're only letting us do 3 due to the A level changes. + I'm only a low A/ B student at IGCSE maths

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas what you want to study at Uni?

If you are still clueless on this point (most people will be) then go for subjects you know you enjoy - because these are the ones that will a) give you highest grades and b) be the most fun to study. Dont back off from 'new' subjects like Law and Sociology - look at the course work/books etc and think carefully about what you might find interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas what you want to study at Uni?

If you are still clueless on this point (most people will be) then go for subjects you know you enjoy - because these are the ones that will a) give you highest grades and b) be the most fun to study. Dont back off from 'new' subjects like Law and Sociology - look at the course work/books etc and think carefully about what you might find interesting.
    Thanks for the advice . At this point I don't know what I want to do, but either history, law or psychology would be very interesting. The problem is my school doesn't do many of the 'newer' A levels such as Psychology, or I would definitely be taking it. I've looked around at some Psychology degrees and many want a science, preferably Biology, but tbh I'm not the best at Biology and don't enjoy it, so it's sort of not an option.
    Sorry for the rambling and thanks again

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.