Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm on a gap year.

I plan on going into a career in commercial law.

I haven't found any work experience in law and don't know if they will offer anything at this time in the year? I feel as though I'm letting
    myself down, as I just have a normal job in Argos.

And is there anything available to for gap year students during the summer?

What can I do in my spare time to improve my CV when I do eventually
    do apply for a TC ?

Someone answer pls...im getting really stressed.

ReputationRep:
    Get some informal work experience at high street firms and commercial firms alongside your job at Argos. If you are eligible, look at the PRIME initiative and see if you can secure an informal placement that way.

My advice is to start writing lots of nice, concise emails, targeting individuals within firms to see if they could support a work experience placement for you.

Just a weeks experience at this early stage (pre uni) is impressive and will look good on a CV (and it won't matter in what type of setting it is in).

Maybe also try volunteering (CAB for example) or learning more about law by visiting your local courts and watching cases (won't matter if it's not commercially focused, good to show you are exploring different avenues).

You are still very early - I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's good you are thinking about it at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdCohen)
    Basically, I'm on a gap year.

I plan on going into a career in commercial law.

I haven't found any work experience in law and don't know if they will offer anything at this time in the year? I feel as though I'm letting
    myself down, as I just have a normal job in Argos.

And is there anything available to for gap year students during the summer?

What can I do in my spare time to improve my CV when I do eventually
    do apply for a TC ?

Someone answer pls...im getting really stressed.
    Yes. You need good stuff for the apps. Make sure you are in some sort of team, sports etc. Have hobbies. It is important. Do some sort of intiative-based thing which shows you have get up and go - do some sort of volunteering work at the weekend and do some initiative based thing while you are there to spin for the comp questions - look at the apps now so you know what they ask. Get thee to court and observe. Get thee to a computer to email people to ask that you shadow. you can build up experience this way - you will still need the law firm stuff but you need everything really - do not feel downhearted - just do other stuff apart from the argos stuff. If you work hard, you will be able to get something in your year out, just keeping going and email everyone!!

expect lots of rejects/ignoring you and just plough on through it all -

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.