Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I previously posted something saying the options I was going to pick, but my school decided to screw me over, and say you can only Pick 3 GCSES instead of 4 and I really need help for what the subjects are like for GCSE.

What I am currently considering
    Geography (Definitely)
    French (Definitely)
    Either Engineering (WJEC), BTEC Business Studies or Computing

Now, I want to be an Aerospace Engineer, so I expect people are going to say "Pick Engineering, It's a no-brainer!" But the University I want to go to says for Aerospace Engineering you only need to get 2As in Maths and Physics A Levels, I currently average an A* in both subjects so I know I could do it but I really want to know which of these 3 I should take.

I mean it's probably obvious I should take Engineering but I really love Computing and Business Studies as well and I do not want to change Geog or French. My school offers Business Studies and Computing as A-Levels but NOT Engineering, so I feel obliged to take it, I would really appreciate some advice on which of these to take and also from people who have done these subjects what it's like and whether it's worth it.

Thank You,
    From A Stressed out Y9 Student

ReputationRep:
    All I'd say is pick the one you think you'd enjoy the most - you said yourself that it won't affect your university applications. Engineering, however, would probably give you a little more insight into it (although I don't know much about the subject, nor do I know many people that take it). I do however have friends who say they enjoy both business studies and computing, and several who have chosen to do them at A-Level.

Right now, keep in mind that your uni/career plans can change. Perhaps you could talk to people at your school about this?

ReputationRep:
    Just realised I posted on your other thread as well - not intentional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pursuedbyabear)
    Just realised I posted on your other thread as well - not intentional
    Haha lol Thank you so much for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pursuedbyabear)
    All I'd say is pick the one you think you'd enjoy the most - you said yourself that it won't affect your university applications. Engineering, however, would probably give you a little more insight into it (although I don't know much about the subject, nor do I know many people that take it). I do however have friends who say they enjoy both business studies and computing, and several who have chosen to do them at A-Level.

Right now, keep in mind that your uni/career plans can change. Perhaps you could talk to people at your school about this?
    Yeah thank you so much, I've been to various conferences and events for young engineers and actually recently designed and built a Formula 24 Car.. (we came 3rd lel) I love the prospect of it and love the field and have gone over it with a Careers Advisor at our school, who..well Advised it! lol But seriously upon going through papers, it says it would only help me get to A Levels in Physics or Apprenticeships, but I know I can do A-Level Physics by doing well in my Physics which is going well.

Thank you very much for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Yeah thank you so much, I've been to various conferences and events for young engineers and actually recently designed and built a Formula 24 Car.. (we came 3rd lel) I love the prospect of it and love the field and have gone over it with a Careers Advisor at our school, who..well Advised it! lol But seriously upon going through papers, it says it would only help me get to A Levels in Physics or Apprenticeships, but I know I can do A-Level Physics by doing well in my Physics which is going well.

That stuff will definitely help in the future (and congrats on 3rd!) I'm glad I could help!

ReputationRep:
    AryanGh I think you should just pick the ones you like better I'm on picking my options and I get 3 references A B and C. A has history and geography I'm picking the one I'm best at and I found with geography there is lots of fun work like watching videos and writing information down so I'm just picking the ones I like because what's the point in picking lessons you don't like you'll just be bored and possibly falling asleep in the middle of class. I'm not choosing a language because I just don't like it and I get really bored.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper

I guess if you do computing/business, it would open your options more? You love them so you'll do well too. What are you thinking of doing atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    I guess if you do computing/business, it would open your options more? You love them so you'll do well too. What are you thinking of doing atm?
    Aerospace Engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Either that or Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well it turns out I don't need engineering as it's not a legit subject and Its really between Business Studies and Computing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Well it turns out I don't need engineering as it's not a legit subject and Its really between Business Studies and Computing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which one do you think you will choose?

ReputationRep:
    Given my options form in, I picked Geog French and Computing in the end, thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.