Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing french gcse with a teacher that gives me nothing; no vocab or anything. I was wondering if you had any complex vocabulary relating to relationships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurensmith000)
    I'm doing french gcse with a teacher that gives me nothing; no vocab or anything. I was wondering if you had any complex vocabulary relating to relationships
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82150-v...eas-1-to-5.pdf

from pg12 not sure how many pages, there is vocab on relationships

not sure how useful it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurensmith000)
    Here are some good ones that I'm using for AS:

tandis que (whereas) - this phrase requires the subjunctive (tandis qu'elle soit...)
    en double tranchant (a double-edged sword) - I think that's the translation...I'd double check it.
    selon un sondage (according to a survey)
    à grâce de/à cause de (because of - the first one literally means 'thanks to')
    tout bien considéré (all considered)
    jettons un œil (let us cast an eye on...)
    j'essayerai expliquer (I will try to explain)
    tout d'abord (first of all)
    I hope some of these help

ReputationRep:
    Winning phrases relating to relationships...

'Il ne vaut pas le risqué du ruiner une amitie pour trouver l'amour' - It is not worth the risk of ruining friendship to find love
    'je prefere sacrifice un ami a sacrifice l'amour' - I prefer to sacrifice a friend than sacrifice love (or you can do it the other way round)
    'Le marriage gay va ameliorer l'image des homosexuelles dans la societe' - Gay marriage will improve the image of homosexuals in society
    'Si les couples heterosexuels veulent montrer leur amour, pourqoi pas les couples du meme sexe?' - If heterosexual couples want to show their love, why not same sex couples?

Hope that's useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethan_!!!)
    Winning phrases relating to relationships...

'Il ne vaut pas le risqué du ruiner une amitie pour trouver l'amour' - It is not worth the risk of ruining friendship to find love
    'je prefere sacrifice un ami a sacrifice l'amour' - I prefer to sacrifice a friend than sacrifice love (or you can do it the other way round)
    'Le marriage gay va ameliorer l'image des homosexuelles dans la societe' - Gay marriage will improve the image of homosexuals in society
    'Si les couples heterosexuels veulent montrer leur amour, pourqoi pas les couples du meme sexe?' - If heterosexual couples want to show their love, why not same sex couples?

Hope that's useful
    Actually I might use some of them as well...we've just started 'la famille, le mariage et l'amitié' in AS French so I think they will be very useful, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe C-S)
    Here are some good ones that I'm using for AS:

tandis que (whereas) - this phrase requires the subjunctive (tandis qu'elle soit...) Not necessarily
    en à double tranchant (a double-edged sword) - I think that's the translation...I'd double check it.
    selon un sondage (according to a survey)
    à grâce de grâce à/à cause de (because of - the first one literally means 'thanks to')
    tout bien considéré (all considered) rarely used
    jettons un œil (let us cast an eye on...)
    j'essayerai expliquer (I will try to explain)
    tout d'abord (first of all)
    I hope some of these help
    XX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    XX
    Thank you for the corrections I thought 'tandis que' always requires the subjunctive?? At least that's what I've been told by my teachers? And 'tout bien considéré' is merely one for an essay or writing assessment. I realise that it's not used that often, but we've been told it's good to use in our essays, but not necessarily in our speaking assessments. And thank you for correcting the idiom...I knew there was something wrong with the way I put it but I couldn't think what

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 1, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.