Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on studying Spanish with English lit at uni next year, and I have four offers including King's, which I'm probably going to put as my firm.

I'm currently finding A2 Spanish much harder than AS; I feel less confident with speaking, and although I think I'll probably be able to scrape an A with a lot of work, I'm worried that I'm going to struggle at degree level. I got even more worried when I went to the applicant day at King's and everyone seemed to be already fluent.

If you've done a language degree, did you struggle at the start, and did you find that there were people there with mixed abilities, or did most people seem quite fluent at the start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madamemadeleine)
    I'm planning on studying Spanish with English lit at uni next year, and I have four offers including King's, which I'm probably going to put as my firm.

I'm currently finding A2 Spanish much harder than AS; I feel less confident with speaking, and although I think I'll probably be able to scrape an A with a lot of work, I'm worried that I'm going to struggle at degree level. I got even more worried when I went to the applicant day at King's and everyone seemed to be already fluent.

If you've done a language degree, did you struggle at the start, and did you find that there were people there with mixed abilities, or did most people seem quite fluent at the start?
    I'm not sure how courses are structured at King's, but I found the first year at Newcastle acted as a bit of a catch up year. There was a lot of focus on speaking and listening as those tend to be the skills students have little opportunity to develop at A Level but also a grammar lecture, which started right back with the present tense and covered all the A Level grammar and beyond.

I was told they did it like this because they recognise that students come from a whole range of backgrounds and schools/colleges will all teach languages a little differently.

Considering the offer for Newcastle at the time (2010 entry) was ABB, I was amazed at how many students didn't know basic verb conjugations or weren't comfortable with the differences between perfect and imperfect tense in French for example. But I guess I got lucky with a college that really drilled grammar and their schools didn't.

So I wouldn't worry too much. If you're a B student with potential to "scrape" an A with lots of work then you can't be that bad

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.