The Student Room Group

Counselling psychology doctorate

Hi people, I'm doing my undergraduate at the moment, and I want to become a Counselling psychologist and i've done my research and it seems that a Masters is not needed, but a Doctorate is. However, I can't say i'm doing too well at the moment - not because i'm not trying, but because i'm slightly struggling to apply the psychological theories in the correct way. Now i've looked at most courses for a Doc in counselling psychology, and they mostly want a 2.1. If worse does come to worse and I get a 2.2, is there any chances of me still being able to do the doctorate? Or would I have to do a masters?

Thank you in advance!
Doctorates are very competitive! You not only need to have a good degree, but also experience. I can't stress how importance experience is... work experience, voluntary, paid, shadowing, anything! That's what counts the most.
If you can't even get a 2:1 in a psychology degree (most could in their sleep) you have no chance of getting onto a counselling psychology degree
Original post by JamesManc
If you can't even get a 2:1 in a psychology degree (most could in their sleep) you have no chance of getting onto a counselling psychology degree

Oddly hostile (and also completely inaccurate) response. It does make it significantly more difficult for yourself, there's no denying that, but to say you have 'no chance' of getting onto the doctorate is just incorrect. Chill out.
Reply 4
Original post by JamesManc

Ok then Bandura
Reply 5
Original post by LadyJazzles
Doctorates are very competitive! You not only need to have a good degree, but also experience. I can't stress how importance experience is... work experience, voluntary, paid, shadowing, anything! That's what counts the most.

Thank you for your reply! Something that was useful to say the least! I'm looking to find some volunteer work but I can't seem to find any that I can afford! Some include going to other countries like Sri lanka, Cambodia, Fijis and some others but they're so expensive! Any advice on volunteer work?

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Jackal The
Oddly hostile (and also completely inaccurate) response. It does make it significantly more difficult for yourself, there's no denying that, but to say you have 'no chance' of getting onto the doctorate is just incorrect. Chill out.

Yeah I think he doesn't know what he's going on about! Okay thank you!
Original post by cookie1306
Thank you for your reply! Something that was useful to say the least! I'm looking to find some volunteer work but I can't seem to find any that I can afford! Some include going to other countries like Sri lanka, Cambodia, Fijis and some others but they're so expensive! Any advice on volunteer work?

Thanks!

Wow, abroad?! Where are you looking for this voluntary work? I'd highly recommend Sane Line - they look for Listening Volunteers that work on the phones. If you contact them, they will send you an e-mail to let you know when the next open evening is. However, be warned, because you must be able to commit for one year. That being said, it's excellent on your CV, and their training is good too. Also check out Mind, ReThink, Samaritans. The really big mental health organisations are the best to go for, but also take a look on www.do-it.org.uk for organisations and charities in your area! Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by LadyJazzles
Wow, abroad?! Where are you looking for this voluntary work? I'd highly recommend Sane Line - they look for Listening Volunteers that work on the phones. If you contact them, they will send you an e-mail to let you know when the next open evening is. However, be warned, because you must be able to commit for one year. That being said, it's excellent on your CV, and their training is good too. Also check out Mind, ReThink, Samaritans. The really big mental health organisations are the best to go for, but also take a look on www.do-it.org.uk for organisations and charities in your area! Good luck :smile:

I'm looking to go all sorts of places! the more experience, the better right?! i'm looking into some volunteer work in vietnam at the moment but I just need to do a bit of saving up! Thank you! Will look into the info you gave me :smile: Thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending