Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure if I should take the IB or A levels. Everyone I know is taking A levels but when I was at the sixth form open evening, the IB really appealed to me. I am curious what the IB will entail for me and if I am suited for it. I am also curious to what timeable I will have compared to an A level student.

Many I know are taking A levels do I do what the people around me are doing or do I do the IB which appealed to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KickingKK)
    I am unsure if I should take the IB or A levels. Everyone I know is taking A levels but when I was at the sixth form open evening, the IB really appealed to me. I am curious what the IB will entail for me and if I am suited for it. I am also curious to what timeable I will have compared to an A level student.

Many I know are taking A levels do I do what the people around me are doing or do I do the IB which appealed to me?
    Timetable is harder but it sets you apart g, if you're interested and willing to put in the effort then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels will make your life way easier and as far as I can tell you'll get into pretty much any uni if you do well in it anyways, so I personally would do that. I did the IB and besides making my last 2 years in high school hell, I don't think it really gave me an advantage over my course mates that just did A-levels

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on what you want to get out of your sixth form education. If you want a focused timetable with considerable independent study, A levels would definitely suit you best. However, if you want a rounded education and would be more keen to have an increased amount of lesson time, learning in lessons rather than independently, you should probably choose the IB.
    Besides this, you should think carefully about which would allow the best subject combination for what you enjoy and want to pursue. If you are a well-rounded student and enjoy many subjects, then the IB would probably be best, but if you would prefer to focus on the few subjects that you are most passionate about, I would recommend A Levels. Also, bear in mind that for IB you would have to do CAS, TOK and EE, which could be quite time consuming, but if you are willing to do this in order to do all the subjects you want to do as well as the course you seem to find the most appealing, it would probably be best for you to follow your heart and do the IB, regardless of what other people at your school want to do.
    I hope this helps - good luck with your choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After seeing what you have written here and talking to the career adviser and my form tutor the best thing for me is the IB as I am a rounded student who spent know what four subjects I want to take and I should go with what my heart tells me. One thing my form tutor told me was do what you want to do not what you're friend wants you to do thank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KickingKK)
    After seeing what you have written here and talking to the career adviser and my form tutor the best thing for me is the IB as I am a rounded student who spent know what four subjects I want to take and I should go with what my heart tells me. One thing my form tutor told me was do what you want to do not what you're friend wants you to do thank
    I recommend you take the IB if you're a bright student who is positive that he'll be willing to put the effort. The IB is all about studying, the more you study, the higher your grade is. It's not really about how intelligent you are, but more about how hard you're willing to study as all the exam questions are all familiar and non of them are unfamiliar.

Best of Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.