Is university worth it just for the social life?

Watch
Haste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I lapsed last year during my first year at college after performing well at GCSE and subsequently flopped my AS levels (I did make some poor choices subject wise which hindered me (maths and physics)). I want to be a Building Surveyor, a course which I can take at uni, or instead get an apprenticeship which will not be hard for me to do. Due to my poor AS grades I was rejected by most of my choices (deferred til 2016 anyway). In all honesty with university I just want to know whether it is worth it socially as I can obtain the same skills and greater financial prowess elsewhere. If I do choose university i'll just reapply next year when I receive some hopefully improved grades.

tl;dr is university worth it for the social life alone? Or should I just go get my apprenticeship and enjoy the money?
absolemo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
why don't you get an apprenticeship, but near a university, so you'll still be able to enjoy a little bit of the university life, like night life and such.
Haste
Rep:
?
(Original post by adesola15)
why don't you get an apprenticeship, but near a university, so you'll still be able to enjoy a little bit of the university life, like night life and such.
Never have I even considered that!
absolemo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It might more fun than actually going to uni, because it won't be as stressful as completing the course, and you'll have a lot less debt, and be building a career (depending on the apprenticeship you take).
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A three year degree will land you with a 30 year, £40,000-ish Student Finance debt. If you're only going to uni for a social life, then no, definitely not worth it.

However, if you want to become a *Chartered* Building Surveyor, then you'll need a degree.
Haste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
However, if you want to become a *Chartered* Building Surveyor, then you'll need a degree.
Fortunately in partaking in an apprenticeship you complete a degree in the form of open university. The RICS push this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would go with the apprenticeship. The whole student life buzz is for only two years and then the third year is just pure work. You also have to think which grade you would leave uni with and if you can't balance socials with academics you might end up with a 2:2 or even lower.
Higher level apprenticeships are great and you will still be able to benefit from a social life without the workload and debt. Imo for your scenario university would be a waste of money and time.
Jack182
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Haste)
I lapsed last year during my first year at college after performing well at GCSE and subsequently flopped my AS levels (I did make some poor choices subject wise which hindered me (maths and physics)). I want to be a Building Surveyor, a course which I can take at uni, or instead get an apprenticeship which will not be hard for me to do. Due to my poor AS grades I was rejected by most of my choices (deferred til 2016 anyway). In all honesty with university I just want to know whether it is worth it socially as I can obtain the same skills and greater financial prowess elsewhere. If I do choose university i'll just reapply next year when I receive some hopefully improved grades.

tl;dr is university worth it for the social life alone? Or should I just go get my apprenticeship and enjoy the money?
If a apprenticeship would be 'not hard for you to do' you'd be a fool not to take it. Apprenticeships are like gold these days (I'm a third year building surveying student myself) and since my first year I've emailed, rung, sent mails to loads of different surveying firms and they are wary of giving me UNPAID work experience, let alone an apprenticeship/traineeships)

If what u say is true and u can get a apprenticeship easily, do it. Social life in uni is a bit overblown anyway, nothing you can't get if you join a rugby team anyway, the social is all the same.
Haste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack182)
If a apprenticeship would be 'not hard for you to do' you'd be a fool not to take it. Apprenticeships are like gold these days (I'm a third year building surveying student myself) and since my first year I've emailed, rung, sent mails to loads of different surveying firms and they are wary of giving me UNPAID work experience, let alone an apprenticeship/traineeships)

If what u say is true and u can get a apprenticeship easily, do it. Social life in uni is a bit overblown anyway, nothing you can't get if you join a rugby team anyway, the social is all the same.
My father is chartered as well as an ACP assessor so I have an advantage.
hamix.forllz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thousands in debt just to hang out? doesn't make sense, but then I guess we all have different motivations for doing stuff...
Jack182
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hamix.forllz)
thousands in debt just to hang out? doesn't make sense, but then I guess we all have different motivations for doing stuff...
IKR. Uni 'life' is overblown in my opinion, people make out it's some crazy 24 hour party just to make themselves feel better imo
lewif002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Haste)

I am 19. I have an engineering apprenticeship, in my second to last year and will end up with a HNC and a job for life if I stick out my apprenticeship ultimately leading to 40k which is good.

However, this year I have been applying for university courses offering electrical and electronic engineering foundation degree's.
I am 19. All my friends are at uni. They all love the student life, they go out partying 4 times a week, make new friends, have what seems to be a 'mental' time and the only down-side (so they tell me) is 9am lectures and having lots of coursework to do.

As I'm sure you're aware from doing your own research an apprenticeship is not just 'a job'. They want to train you and make sure you have the right qualifications. You have to go to college, you have to do coursework, you have to pass exams.

I am 19 and feel stuck in an 8-4.30 repetitive job for the rest of my life.
I am not living my life how I should be at 19 years old. I am applying to universities for two reason, firstly it will get me a better qualification and hopefully open doors to managerial positions in the future. Secondly, I want the uni life of having to balance drinking, partying, lectures, fun, coursework and friends together.

If you are old enough and mature enough to settle down with your life in a 9-5 job then take the apprenticeship which will seem depressing when you take it and have to kiss ass on your boss.
Believe me - keep your opportunities open and apply to university. The only bonus of the apprenticeship is that it is a job which will put money in your bank. Your social life will likely suck compared to your friends and you will not have good networking options nor make any friends for life. They will just be work colleagues.

Keep your options open, please. You will regret it if you do not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haste
Rep:
?
(Original post by lewif002)
Believe me - keep your opportunities open and apply to university. The only bonus of the apprenticeship is that it is a job which will put money in your bank. Your social life will likely suck compared to your friends and you will not have good networking options nor make any friends for life. They will just be work colleagues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is what I worry about
lewif002
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Haste)
This is what I worry about
Well, take it from me - it is exactly what has happened.
All my work colleagues are much older so won't be friends to go out and have fun with.
All my friends from school or sporting hobbies have all gone off to university hours away. Whenever I go to visit them I have sooo much fun and wish so bad I had gone to University last year.

I go through depressive spells where I feel like I am not fulfilling my life as a youngster. I just want to have fun as of right now and I am certain that right now that is at University.
Haste
Rep:
?
Well, take it from me - it is exactly what has happened.
All my work colleagues are much older so won't be friends to go out and have fun with.
All my friends from school or sporting hobbies have all gone off to university hours away. Whenever I go to visit them I have sooo much fun and wish so bad I had gone to University last year.

I go through depressive spells where I feel like I am not fulfilling my life as a youngster. I just want to have fun as of right now and I am certain that right now that is at University.
I got offered a place at Northumbria with a foundation year starting 2015. Not sure whether to take it or, work next year and reapply for 2016 and do the standard course.
lewif002
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Haste)
I got offered a place at Northumbria with a foundation year starting 2015. Not sure whether to take it or, work next year and reapply for 2016 and do the standard course.
If you have nothing else lined up for the next year which is going to get you in to one of the top 15 Uni's etc then I'd go for it if I was you! Means you get to uni sooner and start living the student life.

PLUS - I have heard Northumbria has a BUZZING night life so you will definitely be satisfied
Jack182
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's a little something called growing up and being an adult my friend, sucks don't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lewif002
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jack182)
That's a little something called growing up and being an adult my friend, sucks don't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Correct! But who says we need to grow up at 18/19 and can't go to university for a few years and then mature and grow up when we are 22?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Haste)

it was for me I mean I got my degree too but yeah the social side is a lot of fun.

I feel I should clarify what I said would I have been happy to pay for that life just for the parties yes ,would I have gone if I was not going to get a qualification out of it no.
Mart527
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am 19. I have an engineering apprenticeship, in my second to last year and will end up with a HNC and a job for life if I stick out my apprenticeship ultimately leading to 40k which is good.

However, this year I have been applying for university courses offering electrical and electronic engineering foundation degree's.
I am 19. All my friends are at uni. They all love the student life, they go out partying 4 times a week, make new friends, have what seems to be a 'mental' time and the only down-side (so they tell me) is 9am lectures and having lots of coursework to do.

As I'm sure you're aware from doing your own research an apprenticeship is not just 'a job'. They want to train you and make sure you have the right qualifications. You have to go to college, you have to do coursework, you have to pass exams.

I am 19 and feel stuck in an 8-4.30 repetitive job for the rest of my life.
I am not living my life how I should be at 19 years old. I am applying to universities for two reason, firstly it will get me a better qualification and hopefully open doors to managerial positions in the future. Secondly, I want the uni life of having to balance drinking, partying, lectures, fun, coursework and friends together.

If you are old enough and mature enough to settle down with your life in a 9-5 job then take the apprenticeship which will seem depressing when you take it and have to kiss ass on your boss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Completely Agree !!!!! and I'm in the same situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.26%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (240)
30.89%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.16%

Watched Threads