Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am really interested in taking Computer Science but I am not sure if I will have enough to get into the course.

I currently study at AS - Level:

Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Graphic Design.

After some research into the topic I have noticed there was an A-Level course availably which I did not have the option to take.

Could someone please explain to me if I have a chance of getting onto the course even though I have very little coding knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on different univeristy entry levels but a friend of mine is off to do computer science without a computer science a level, but you need to show some sort of interest so maybe read a good book on it.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently trying to learn the basics on some languages through code academy. I plan on becoming quiet efficient over the next year and maybe make a little game or application or something

Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamBallard)
    I am currently trying to learn the basics on some languages through code academy. I plan on becoming quiet efficient over the next year and maybe make a little game or application or something

Thanks for the reply!
    It sounds great having further maths is a good thing as well... also you could try getting a thing called a raspberry pi thing they are great for learning things like this and you can design a game or code on it... they're not expensive either. My advice hopefully it helps

ReputationRep:
    Goodness me, you can get into this course by doing only Social Sciences at A level. Of course you stand a chance with your A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    Goodness me, you can get into this course by doing only Social Sciences at A level. Of course you stand a chance with your A levels.
    Depends on the uni, nowhere I'd consider good for CS would let you in with that.

OP: You're fine, no uni requires computing a level or even any experience on CS. Maths (and further maths, physics) are the most important/useful a levels to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Depends on the uni, nowhere I'd consider good for CS would let you in with that.

OP: You're fine, no uni requires computing a level or even any experience on CS. Maths (and further maths, physics) are the most important/useful a levels to have.
    For something like Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL the subjects he's taking is highly recommended. Queen Mary are Russel Group and it surprises me that you can get into CS with only Social Science A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    For something like Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL the subjects he's taking is highly recommended. Queen Mary are Russel Group and it surprises me that you can get into CS with only Social Science A levels.
    Fair enough. Looking back on my comment it seems quite elitist and I didn't realise that so many unis don't have maths/sciency subjects highly recommended at least.

ReputationRep:
    I took similar - Further Maths, Maths, Physics, and Chemistry and got 4/5 offers (and it was ICL who rejected me, purely because of my (admittedly self inflicted) poor performance at AS) too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.