Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Somebody told my friend I charged him too much to replace his head gasket. watch

ReputationRep:
    I replaced the head gasket on my friend's Lexus RX350 recently. His Lexus dealership wanted £1,700 to do the job, it's steep but I'm not surprised that they quoted him this, dealership's are always a rip off.
    A backstreet garage quoted him £1,250.

I'm only 19 years old and only been working on car's in my job as an apprentice at a backstreet garage for 2 years.

Then he came to me and asked me how much I'd want paying for doing the job, I told him £430 all in, that's including the part's and my labor. I worked out after parts spent I'd make £ 200 for a 2 and a half day solid job.
    Anyway he was happy with this and so I proceeded to strip the engine to bits down to the bare block, the head gasket was warped to heck. It was such a pain removing all the circularizes and changing the timing belt but a car like this deserves another shot at life and so I brought it back to life.

When I replaced the head gasket and reassembled the massive engine I took it for a test drive and what a great job I did if I do say so myself. it drives like a dream as new. The thought of it collecting dust or being crushed to be turned into coke cans if it weren't for me fixing it is a great feeling.

Anyway another friend of his told him he thinks I charged him too much but in my opinion he got a good deal, his car should run for many years now free from the head gasket issue, Yes I made £200 but I don't think he's paid me too much, It's only far I get a nonbreakable wage for such a ingenious job, what do you think?

God Bless
    Car is the exact same make and model as this one, even the same jet black color
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The price was agreed before the job. Nothing unfair about it.

He asked how much, you named your price, he was happy with it. Anything else is just hearsay.

The person who told your friend is probably thinks that when a head gasket goes you only need to replace it to get it going again (which you and I both know is rarely ever the case), or, they're only used to seeing prices for small 1-litre engines that are far more common, easier to work on, and cheaper to obtain parts for.

If he got two quotes from reputable garages that were far higher than what you did it for, he's had a good deal. If he can't see this, you need to reconsider who you keep as "friends".

~Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danty)
    The price was agreed before the job. Nothing unfair about it.

He asked how much, you named your price, he was happy with it. Anything else is just hearsay.

The person who told your friend is probably thinks that when a head gasket goes you only need to replace it to get it going again (which you and I both know is rarely ever the case), or, they're only used to seeing prices for small 1-litre engines that are far more common, easier to work on, and cheaper to obtain parts for.

If he got two quotes from reputable garages that were far higher than what you did it for, he's had a good deal. If he can't see this, you need to reconsider who you keep as "friends".

~Matt

Thanks matey.

It's not my friend with the problem, I think it's his other friend who is not really my friend.
    I serviced a car a few days back, complete service on a Ferrari that I assuem was worth over 200k. great feeling but I'd want more than £200 to replace a head gasket on a Ferarri, it'd take a little more work. lol

ReputationRep:
    You gave him 65% off what more does he want?

ReputationRep:
    You agreed a price that you were both happy with. End of.
    Tell the other dude to show you where you could get the parts cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    You did your friend a big favour by charging him far less than the going rate - and he was happy. You made a few quid and you were happy.

Sounds like you're a good friend.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fair to me! The sort of price garages SHOULD Charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy_edmonds)
    Sounds fair to me! The sort of price garages SHOULD Charge.
    SHOULD charge? Even if the OP only worked 17 hours that's still less than £12p/h but it sounds like they worked a lot more than that putting in solid days. Backstreet garage on top of this will be paying rent for their premises, rates, utilities, insurance, ramps, tools etc which is not pocket change. Assuming 8 of those could be done in a month (leaving a day to sort out accounts) and paying yourself £6.50p/h (~£1150/mo) would only leave you £450/mo for your operating costs.

All the pricing in the OP is reasonable for the level of job done, he got a fantastic price for getting his car back on the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    SHOULD charge? Even if the OP only worked 17 hours that's still less than £12p/h but it sounds like they worked a lot more than that putting in solid days. Backstreet garage on top of this will be paying rent for their premises, rates, utilities, insurance, ramps, tools etc which is not pocket change. Assuming 8 of those could be done in a month (leaving a day to sort out accounts) and paying yourself £6.50p/h (~£1150/mo) would only leave you £450/mo for your operating costs.

All the pricing in the OP is reasonable for the level of job done, he got a fantastic price for getting his car back on the road.
    I'm not talking about backstreet garges. Im talking about the big firms. I'm all for personal businesses making profit but some take the mick, Like dealers for example, 1700 to change a head gasket?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)

One of the other potential big costs which most people forget is standing behind a repair - if a new part is faulty or the fault was misdiagnosed then the customer won't be happy stumping up more, so it's got to be factored into the initial cost, as has the possibility of the quote not actually being sufficient to cover all the work. Oh and the cost of looking at cars in the first place to give a quote, not all of which will translate into paid work.

Of course the extension of this is that many garages prefer to replace most or all of a system, because the fault is more likely to be caught - a recent example was my dad's car. There was a chance the fault was just the voltage regulator (£10, but some work to fit) but the garage were only interested in changing the whole alternator (£400 + about the same amount of work). That way they knew the fault would be sorted and the customer wouldn't have to come back, even if it wasn't necessarily the cheapest solution.

(Original post by Billy_edmonds)
    I'm not talking about backstreet garges. Im talking about the big firms. I'm all for personal businesses making profit but some take the mick, Like dealers for example, 1700 to change a head gasket?
    How do you think they pay for receptionists, fancy showrooms and courtesy cars?

I worked with a guy who used to run his own garage. He made reasonable money at it, but nothing exceptional.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.