Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    So I got my coursework back today and my teacher has criticised us all, without giving any particular acknowledgement of anything we've done well, besides a few ticks next to good points. She marked, on the sheet, that I've reached maybe band 4, tops, but I don't know what that means? Also, I don't know how to feel about this work. It's my first piece in college, ever, and I hoped I would do really well as English was always my strong point in school... Its kind of knocked me back and my stress levels are only increasing. I'm already fairly unwell due to stress.
    Any solutions? Tips? What were your experiences with first coursework pieces?
    Motivation and inspiration would be lovely if you have some to spare!

ReputationRep:
    For the record, I'm okay that she criticised us all, but I don't know whether to feel as though I've done horribly or okay...

ReputationRep:
    The step from gcse to a level is massive and it can be very stressful but try not to stress too much take on board the critism and just keep trying someway down the line it will all just fit into place just give it some time and a lot of effort

ReputationRep:
    I know and I am doing, I just feel so disheartened. English has always been my passion not only because I enjoy the subject but also because I always did well and got great feedback that made me feel really positive about myself. This was sort of a kick in the teeth. How do you manage that jump from GCSE to A Level without freaking out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowMood)
    I know and I am doing, I just feel so disheartened. English has always been my passion not only because I enjoy the subject but also because I always did well and got great feedback that made me feel really positive about myself. This was sort of a kick in the teeth. How do you manage that jump from GCSE to A Level without freaking out?

Well im not a great example to be honest i failed my first year with the expection of english but then i just focused more on the end goal rather than the struggle. I totally agree with what you're saying and i can totally sympathise english is my best subject and in year 13 i struggled properly for the first time on Hamlet and it knocked me for 6 ,i just kept going for help and online resources are great.. just try and focus energy on revising and trying honestly it will help.. but don't let yourself get too stressed always talk of you need it. If you're too stressed its harder to learn

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even think I was struggling, the classes are so easy. Actually she hasn't said I've done badly, nor has she said I have done well... I think I hit band 4 which is a C, if, for the final deadline, I can raise that to a band 5 then I might be sort of on my way... I dunno... It's hard to have confidence in myself.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even think I was struggling, the classes are so easy. Actually she hasn't said I've done badly, nor has she said I have done well... I think I hit band 4 which is a C, if, for the final deadline, I can raise that to a band 5 then I might be sort of on my way... I dunno... It's hard to have confidence in myself.
    Well you're not too far into the course keep going a c isnt too bad just keep working at it. I did a lot of practice papers and looking through old work and i can almost guarantee you will look back and literally just be able to tell from reading how much better you are. So you will improve so just think of a c as an initial try and keep going at it hopefully that helped

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'm probably just being hard on myself, been mega stressed to the point of actually developing tinnitus and stuff over photography and archaeology work :/ never mind... I'll see how it goes! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'm probably just being hard on myself, been mega stressed to the point of actually developing tinnitus and stuff over photography and archaeology work :/ never mind... I'll see how it goes! Thanks
    Anytime i mean ive done english now but its not an easy subject but it's,a core one so it'll look great on uni applications and good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.