Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Okay, so here's the thing: my main career choice is to become a doctor. I want to go into medicine but Maths plays an important role in the process, i.e. Maths as a preferred A-level. At GCSE, I got a very high B but I struggle in Maths. Currently I'm doing Further Maths at GCSE and it's horrific. I mean yes, I do understand and get things but it just take so long to stick in my head. You get the story.

So, I'm currently thinking of doing these at A-levels next year
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Maths
    - either English, French, History or Geography

Medicine is a very demanding degree and I don't feel confident that I will get in. So here's a list of other careers that I'm also really interested in besides Medicine- in order of preference:
    1. Dentistry
    2. Journalism or something to do with writing, media, etc.
    3. Law

Overall, I would say that I am much more stronger in my essay-based subjects, like English, History, Geography, French, etc, rather than the Mathsey-sciencey subjects like Maths, Physics, etc. Here's a list of all the subjects I (think) I'm good at:

1. English
    2. History
    3. Geography
    4. French
    5. Biology
    6. Chemistry
    7. Economics/Business
    8. Sociology/psychology

I don't know what career to opt for. Based on my interests and strengths, could anyone recommend any of these careers or other careers that would suit me?
    & also could anyone advise me on A-level options to pick? I'd preferably do most or all of the facilitating subjects!

You should keep your career options open, considering that Medicine is so competitive. First, your GCSE results will determine what you can study at A-Level. At the start of your second year of Sixth Form you start applying for university, and they'll also take into account your AS results and predicted A2's.

Maybe try looking at what you enjoy rather than,just whay you are good at and also try speaking to a careers adviser it can't hurt

Really, try and get some form of work experience. This helped me A LOT on deciding what to do.
    Medicine is competitive, but entirely possible. Most universities like to see biology and chemistry for a levels, and there are access courses for those who don't do science. And I'm aware that Liverpool (not sure if they do it still) do a year 0 course to get into medicine, veterinary or dentistry, but I'm not sure how that works.

You still sound undecided about everything, just do what you love, that's the only way you are going to do great work and enjoy working, it is going to take up the majority of your life.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.