Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can this ingredient be legal in Chinese food? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have eaten a crispy belly and soda chicken + rice meal 2 hours ago and now I feel like ****ing crap + weird. And why ? because of the MSG **** they put in it. How can it be legal? How? My hands are shaking and I can't think straight as I type this..

ReputationRep:
    In pretty sure they put MSG in a lot of things because I think it's supposed to be addictive or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does Marmite make you feel bad too? How about tomatoes?

ReputationRep:
    I saw the thread title and immediately thought MSG.

It's in quite a lot of everyday foods, notably Pringles (it makes you want more, hence, 'once you pop, you can't stop').

Foods with MSG in work well as hangover cures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    I have eaten a crispy belly and soda chicken + rice meal 2 hours ago and now I feel like ****ing crap + weird. And why ? because of the MSG **** they put in it. How can it be legal? How? My hands are shaking and I can't think straight as I type this..
    That's some scary ****
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    MSG 'allergy' had been shown to be pseudoscience. MSG is a naturally occurring substance found in seaweed and marmite. The connection between Chinese food and feeling unwell is likely a combination of placebo and poor food hygiene.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-syndrome-myth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would it not be legal to put an ingredient which is perfectly safe for human consumption, into food? The MSG is what makes Chinese food tasty by accentuating the flavour of the meat.

People get hangover type symptoms from Chinese food because they eat it in gluttonous quantities and don't think to drink enough water to offset the sodium dehydration.

ReputationRep:
    It's in Doritos, it's supposed to make you more hungry, which is probably how I can go through a whole big bag and then feel a bit sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Why would it not be legal to put an ingredient which is perfectly safe for human consumption, into food? The MSG is what makes Chinese food tasty by accentuating the flavour of the meat.

People get hangover type symptoms from Chinese food because they eat it in gluttonous quantities and don't think to drink enough water to offset the sodium dehydration.
    So its because im a gluttonous ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    MSG 'allergy' had been shown to be pseudoscience. MSG is a naturally occurring substance found in seaweed and marmite. The connection between Chinese food and feeling unwell is likely a combination of placebo and poor food hygiene.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-syndrome-myth

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was just about to post this! There was a TV programme a while ago where a group of people who claimed to be severely allergic to MSG were given a meal which they were told was MSG-free - obviously it wasn't and had lots of MSG in. Only one of them felt any sickness afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    So its because im a gluttonous ****?
    It's either because you've eaten more than you normally do, or haven't drunk adequate water throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    Any chemist will tell you MSG is basically just salt.

Drink a bunch of water, you are probably just dehydrated.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the MSG, it's the actual ingredients and the way the stuff is cooked?

Or did you somehow think it was nutritious. Eat stodge and expect to feel the effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    It's not the MSG, it's the actual ingredients and the way the stuff is cooked?

Or did you somehow think it was nutritious. Eat stodge and expect to feel the effects.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-cabinets.aspx

According to the FDA, MSG Symptom Complex can involve symptoms such as:

Numbness
    Burning sensation
    Tingling
    Facial pressure or tightness
    Chest pain or difficulty breathing
    Headache
    Nausea
    Rapid heartbeat
    Drowsiness
    Weakness

ReputationRep:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-cabinets.aspx

According to the FDA, MSG Symptom Complex can involve symptoms such as:

Numbness
    Burning sensation
    Tingling
    Facial pressure or tightness
    Chest pain or difficulty breathing
    Headache
    Nausea
    Rapid heartbeat
    Drowsiness
    Weakness

Some of these are quite common if you have a lot of salt, causes water retention which can raise blood pressure and dehydrates you, causing the headaches, nausea, rapid heartbeat, chest pain... actually all of those symptoms. Drink water, get rid of the water retention/hydrate and feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of foods contain MSG. I've never had any negative reaction to it. Obviously I'd prefer my food without additives but odds are they'd taste crap without them and the producer would need to load the product up with sugar/salt/fat to make up the flavour.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.